Removing an anchor

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by cthorpe, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

So I have "My Documents" anchored and have booted into multiple snapshots, all of which can naturally access "My Documents. What happens if I then go in an remove "My Documents" from the anchor list? Does it become a part of just the currently active snapshot or all of the snapshots?

Thanks,
    Ct

2. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

I believe it only becomes part of the current snapshot.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Although I don't anchor data, it is logical that anchoring is only for the current snapshot.
    If you remove the anchoring, it will become a part of the snapshot, where you did it, not in the other snapshots.
    Snapshots are independent from eachother like partitions, but FDISR allows you to update (refresh) a snapshot from another snapshot.

(I moved all my data to another physical harddisk so there is nothing to anchor)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've done this. When you first remove the anchor it is only part of the active snapshot. Once you do a copy/update with out the anchor, then what ever was anchored is copied to the other snapshots.

Pete

5. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

That's what I thought. The reason I asked is because I found out how to get around the permissions problem when doing a fresh install on a blank snapshot. I posted a message yesterday saying that when I attempted to do that, my fresh install created a new profile in Documents and Settings instead of using the anchored data. Turns out that it is because I have the two accounts on my PC password protected, and the two identically named accounts I created in the fresh install don't have passwords by default. I think that caused the problem. If I don't have the data anchored when I do the new install, set up identical accounts and passwords, then anchor the data, everything works as expected.

C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.