Removed personal firewall, now IE won't work

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by djw8, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djw8

djw8 Registered Member

After installing ESET SS I decided to run a different software firewall. I searched these forum for a way to remove the ESET firewall and complied with those instructions. I went to Connections, properties found the ESET firewall and unchecked it. I restarted my computer then found that IE7 wouldn't connect to the internet. I connect fine with Firefox and I get my email without a problem, I just can't get IE7 to work.

I'm using a Lenovo T61 Thinkpad
    I run Windows XP Pro, SP3

The other firewall I'm using is Online Armor and I've been to their forum for assist but we couldn't get it figured out.

Any help appreciated.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello djw8,

ESS is an integrated program. It installs as one program and uninstalls as one program.

If you are already running a firewall, you don't need ESS, you need NOD32 antivirus. It is a separate, stand alone program.

If the different firewall is Online Armor, I would uninstall it, reinstall ESS, and then uninstall ESS through the Control Panel and reinstall the programs you want to use.

3. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

Take this as a message from the gods.

Use Firefox!

4. djw8

djw8 Registered Member

I love that suggestion nonmirecordo, however I've found I can't update my system without IE 7, I'm trying to convert my trial version of Office to a purchased version but I can't do that without IE 7, I dont want to know what else I can't do without IE 7. Anyway, I use Firefox whenever I can.

Anyway, I've punted. I went to system restore and have restored my system and have uninstalled Online Armor. I'm re-presented with a problem with the ESET personal firewall that I encountered since I installed the program.

Whenever I boot up, I get a pop up that says ESET Personal Firewall Manager has not passed Windows XP logo testing to verify its compatibility, blah, blah, blah.

Any help with that?

Thanks

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don't you have an option to choose an action - such as "Ignore" or "Continue anyway" ? Could you post a screenshot ?

6. djw8

djw8 Registered Member

Sure, it offers a don't install button and I click on that every time I boot up.

I'd love to know what an ESET Personal Firewall Miniport is, and why it wants to install because the system sees it as a hardware installation and I don't know what hardware its sensing.

In the meantime it won't allow a wireless connection to be established until it's dealt with and overall it's kind of a pain becauser it also pops up randomly during downloads and system updates.

I really would like to just kill it.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Sure , it also offers "Continue anyway" . Press "Continue anyway".

unsingned_driver_installtion.gif

I don't know why you see it . Generally it should go without users noticing it.
    It is wrongly detected as hardware installation . ESET Personal Firewall Miniport is the ESET Smart Security firewall driver(s) . You should install them as part of the program.

This is normal because the program is not fully installed and during installation it has blocked any kind of network traffic (for security reasons...)

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET Smart Security licenses come with downgrade rights to ESET NOD32 Antivirus. You can download a copy of ESET NOD32 Antivirus, unintall ESET Smart Security and then install ESET NOD32 Antivirus with the license credentials for ESET Smart Security so that it can download updates.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. LauraD

LauraD Registered Member

Well that is helpful. I just installed NOD32 Antivirus because I can't install ESET Smart Security. No problem with the NOD32.

Since I use my laptop in two different environments, can I also install ESET Smart Security on the laptop but under a different user profile? I think the software might install and work when I am not connected to this office network because it has a corporate hardware firewall.
    I would really like to have the full suite on my laptop so I can securely use it when I'm not connected to the office network.

-Laura

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

You cannot install ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus under the same operating system.

What you might want to consider doing is installing ESET Smart Security on the notebook computer and create a rule in the corporate user profile that tells the firewall to pass all traffic on the corporate network. This would, in effect, prevent local network traffic from being scanned.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.