remove preview pop ups from pdf xchange?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

anyone know how to kill the pop ups for previews in pdf xchange. i have switched to this from foxit and im really liking it after giving it a bit more of a chance i just hate the preview of files for some reason ( dont ask im not sure why they bug me but they do) is there a way to turn those off. i read about a registry entry that can be changed but not sure if that really works or not. now i just hope they dont start going the way of so many others. the newest foxit installed the toolbars even after i CLEARLY opted out of it so i got fed up with it....

thanks

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I am not sure what are you asking. If you want to turn off the ad-ware bar on the top right hand corner, you can do this in the paid version.

Edit > Preferences > Registration > (check) Hide AD bar

However, even for paid versions it has build-in search engines like Firefox.

3. zfactor

sorry i meant the thumbnail previews not the ad

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I wonder that too. :)

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

6. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Are you talking about previews when looking at files in Windows Explorer? If so, that is an installation option. To stop it, you would need to uninstall and then reinstall without the previews...

8. zfactor

okay what im looking for this time.. is when in pdfxchange and you go to open a file on the side it shows a preview of the file before you actually open it. i know i can disable shell extensions but what about the preview while in pdfxchange. im not sure why i just dont like it. i guess i could learn to live with it but...

also wow never realized how much memory pdfxchange uses instead of foxit. i opened a 4 page color pdf in both and foxit used 17+ mb while pdfxchange used 107mb!!! they were both set to fir the page width wise with no other options.

that seems kind of crazy is this normal for pdfxchange??

9. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

In the open file dialogue box, at the top on the right, there is a button to enable/disable previews.

When I open a 112 page full colour magazine in pdfX it uses 45MB of private memory, a 36MB private working set and 145MB of virtual memory. Are you sure you're not looking at virtual memory?

10. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Ahhh! Now I understand. I've never noticed what you're talking about. :) Thanks to Heimdall for catching that!

As for memory usage... I have never looked at the active memory of PDF-XChange while it's running. Whatever it's doing in RAM, I have yet to ever see a crash with any PDF I've used/tried. And this includes some older XP machines that only had 256 or 512 MB. I guess I'm saying that it's still a fair percentage lighter on a hard drive than Adobe and offers a few key additions (like typing on docs and being able to save it) that Adobe doesn't. What it uses while active hasn't been on my radar at all.

11. zfactor

what i was looking at was just a quick check in the taskmanager

12. zfactor

ahh found it thank you. not sure why but it bugged me lol..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.