Remove floating menus from webpages

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Sep 6, 2015.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it can't be done, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

If there any software of browser addon which will remove floating menus from webpages? I'm referring to webpages which have a menu or some other content which always stays at the top of the screen as you navigate down a page. I find this highly annoying, becuse if you use the page down key to navigagte through a webpage, the content at the top of the screen get hidden behind the menu, and you need to scroll down to see it.

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I have two options in Opera 12.10.

1) Most of these menus are controlled by Javascript, so disabling that removes the menu. That might break other things, of course.

2) There is an option to "Disable Positioning" which makes the menus go away (to where, I do not know!) Nothing else seems to be affected.

I have only one news site where a floating menu is a problem and I use the #2 method.

regards,

-rich

3. roger_m

@Rmus Thanks for the suggestions. I don't use Opera so was unable to try the second suggestion. I found a website with a flaoting menu, then disabled JavaScript and refreshed the page. Unfortunately the webpage was not able display properly with JS disabled, so I had to ebable it again.

4. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

I would suggest use uBlock Origin element picker and uMatrix to control scripts and frames and etc.

5. roger_m

@Malwar Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm really looking for a generic solution, not sometihng I need to tailor to specific sites.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  6. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Your welcome! I understand.:thumb:

7. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

roger_m, this "floating menu" is normally held in place via CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), not JavaScript. It's part of the CSS Layout - Position Property. That W3 School page has the style of menu you're talking about, and a Div element at the bottom right hand corner of the viewport that remains fixed too as you scroll.

There's nothing that can be done to remove this CSS layout feature, because the style sheet resides in the Web site's server, not client's side (browser), unless a Web site allows you to switch between alternate style sheets.

9. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hi JR,

Does javascript come into play with CSS? Because if I disable javascript, the floating menu doesn't display.

This reminds me that if the browser permits setting up a User Mode (Opera does), switching to it eliminates the floating menu.

----
    rich

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rich, the reason why the floating menu doesn't display in that particular page, when JavaScript is disabled, is due to the Menu buttons. They all contain a <a href='javascript:void(0)'></a> function. In that instance, if JavaScript is disabled, the floating menu becomes static in the page, because the buttons become disabled as well.

The menu is being defined as a Div element top nav { position: relative; top: 0px; } and that Div is positioned below another Div: w3-container top, which houses the Logo and slogan. When scrolling the page, the top nav Div stops at the top of the viewport, thus a "floating menu" that remains visible due to a Z-index of 1.

11. roger_m

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.