Removal tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dr pan k, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

it has been a while since i last read anything. this one goes back to Oct 2009.
    any newer ? how comes we dont see what the AV's perform like ?

2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

thx for info
    panda is not scoring well in removal in almost every test

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

FWIW:

PC Mag - Test of 2011 Security Suites (Includes Malware Removal Test)

"In my own malware removal tests Norton took the overall top score, with PC Tools close behind. Webroot did a nice job removing keyloggers, rootkits, and scareware but didn't score quite as high overall."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp

Virus Removal Scores = 3rd column:

http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=276064,00.asp

"Virus Cleanup Variations

Some users blithely bumble along without protection until they get hit by a visible malware attack. They dash out in a frenzy to buy and install a security solution, expecting a quick end to the problem. After that the emphasis changes to preventing further infestations, but a product that flubs the initial cleanup will get returned pronto.

Remember, the malware settled into the system first, and sometimes it actively fights installation of security software. When malware resisted Norton's installation the built-in support notified me, then fixed itself; nice! BullGuard Internet Security Suite 10 also offers built-in support, but getting past malware resistance required hours of live-chat and remote-control support with agents who eventually resorted to third party tools for cleanup. Installation help from McAfee came in the form of a two-hour phone call, ending in eventual success.

A similar problem with Ad-Aware yielded to the company's boot-time rescue CD. However, rescue CDs and extra-powered cleanup tools weren't enough to get F-Secure Internet Security 2011 and PC Tools installed on all my test systems. Those two required substantial interaction with tech support, more than a consumer would have endured.

Kaspersky, F-Secure and Norton generally score high with the independent testing labs. So do AVG, PC Tools and Panda. Trend Micro's performance in my own malware removal tests was unexpectedly awful, saved only by its inclusion of Trend Micro's Housecall cleanup tool. F-Secure users have a choice of automatic cleanup (which ignores lower-risk threats) or a convoluted multi-phase manual process.

In my own malware removal tests Norton took the overall top score, with PC Tools close behind. Webroot did a nice job removing keyloggers, rootkits, and scareware but didn't score quite as high overall."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.