remote login Teamviewer safe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by runnyeggsham, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runnyeggsham

runnyeggsham Registered Member

I have been told by my friend that I should not use the Teamviewer program to troubleshoot my brother's computer at work. He didn't give any specifics but said it was unsafe. It's true that you can set it for automatic login but that's after it verifies who the client is. I am not sure how the Teamviewer app verifies the client before granting access. Anyone familiar with this program?
    He thinks RDP and VPN is the only way to go to remote in.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is not unsafe. In default install nothing runs without user say so.

3. runnyeggsham

runnyeggsham Registered Member

True. I was thinking about easily the system was compromised. Thanks for your input.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

On my remote coms, I set the router to direct a non-standard port to an internal standard port. It is trivial, but bots search for ports on common assignments, so using a non-standard port is a very easy way to get around automated port scans.

If you have the availability, you could set the router and/or firewall at work to only allow incoming comms from the remote IP or a dyndns domain name. This provides really good security, but is the most constrictive.

Just some extra ideas.

Sul.

5. axial

axial Registered Member

With the free version and using it "manually" as opposed to autolognin, for each remote connection session the remote system "host" auto-generates two new items, a new UserID and a new Password. The person wishing to connect needs to know both of these items. If the connection is terminated new ID and p/w are generated. Then, the remote host has to grant access.

AFAIK the autologin is only a possibility if one explicitly sets the program to be run that way, it's not a default of the app.

As far as I know, TeamViewer is a VPN and is built on one of the most robust VPN implementations.

fwiw, TeamViewer is very easy to set up, I walked through it with a non-computer-knowledgeable friend just yesterday and had it running in just a couple of minutes. I've used it sporadically for 5+ years and always found it reliable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.