Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hello,

I need some help with setting up a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC). The computer I am connecting TO is a XP Pro machine. I have a VPN connection setup.

Here's the info I have:
    The XP Pro machine is in an office with a 2-wire router. The router has been configured to allow VPN connections and has a default ability to allow Remote Desktop Connections. I manually configured the VPN port settings, but as I stated, the RDC had it already able, I just had to click on it.

I went to a secondary computer on the same network and VPN'd into it and then was able to use RDC with no problem (all this on the same LAN).

My home computer is a XP Home machine. I checked the checkbox under system properties to allow RDC to be sent from my machine, but not to. I can connect to the VPN with no problem, but I get a "Cannot connect to this machine..." error when trying the RDC. A colleague is trying the same thing from her home computer (XP HOme) and she cannot connect either.

Does anybody have any experience setting up a RDC that can help me out a bit?

I appreciate it.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think RDC only works with XP pro and not Home (maybe it just needs one XP Pro though o_O) also i think it's very weak and easily defeated on WAN

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

XP Pro must be installed on the computer you are connecting TO. You can use 2000/XP home/pro to connect from.

I know RDC is not the most secure way to handle this, but it's free and since my client needs it as soon as possible, I am going with this. The VPN is setup with max security too, so nobody could RDC to it without connecting to the VPN first.

4. nicM

nicM nico-nico

And wouldn't it be more easy to set up with MSN messenger's own remote assistance tool?

I've never tried it, but I know there's such a tool in the last MSN I've used - just need MSN on both computer, et voilà! ;)

Cheers,
    nicM

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Well, RDC is already installed on these systems too. I don't really like having MSN on my systems so that really isn't an option.

Thanks though :)

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I figured it out!

I was trying to connect the RDC using the computer's name. I tried it with the IP address and it worked just fine.

Thanks to those who attempted to help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.