Remote data collection tool?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by se7engreen, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Apologies if this is the wrong forum...

I work for an agricultural based company and we have several remote sites that are out in the middle of nowhere (most use dial-up connections). These sites send data in through fax, email, phone, etc. I'm looking for a way to collect this data centrally & easily through maybe an intranet site or something similar, something where the users can select choices based on data in our databases. Imputed data would then be submitted directly to the databases for reporting, analysis, etc. I'm not a programmer and the only one we have is pretty swamped. So I'm looking for something that I can deploy without knowledge of coding. If anyone has any suggestions for a product or solution I'd be greatly appreciative.
    Thanks!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

While you are waiting, do a google for data collection software. Tons of stuff out there.

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I did something like this for an oil company once. We called it "competitve zone pricing". We had phone lines set up where the gas stations would call up and enter the prices of competitor gas stations in their neighborhood. We had a dedicated SQL server for the task. But this was in the mid 90's. To do it now may be easier... However you do it, it will be expensive. If you already have a database infrastructure, then it probably could be built upon that. Are you using Access for your database?

Close Hauled

4. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

We use SQL for the databases. What you described is simaler to what I have in mind. Establish WAN links for the sites (dialup modem pool possibly), have them do some kind of authentication(active directory integrated?), and they can imput data into a screen with textboxes or make selections based on existing data.

I've found products via google search but the descriptions are vague and I'm not familiar with them. I'm hoping that someone has been in this spot and maybe found something that worked for them.

I'm wondering if I could design a simple page with M$ Frontpage with textboxes for input? That almost sounds like the cheap (read: ineffective) way to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.