Remote control...any best choice ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by smallhagrid, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid Registered Member

Hi Folks.
    I would like to use a remote control program at home to access my office PC.
    Both run XP Pro SP2.

Seems like there's a bazillion ways to do this as well as a bazillion programs in all flavors - open source - portable - proprietary...etc.

A couple of examples that come to mind are Netsarang Xmanager and Network LookOut because I've seen claims that they are among the 'best' choices.

My biggest concerns are for which ones will have the lowest overall impact upon the PCs as well as which is likely the most secure.

Any suggestions as to best or worst of these things ?

Thanks !

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I guess you could use the default Windows Assistance function.

In my experience the only time software of this type that i've used is Team Viewer and i can say it does wonders. :D

3. pirej

pirej Registered Member

I like Team Viewer too, nice one, and easy to use.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I like any of the VNC variants. UltraVNC, TightVNC, RealVNC, etc. I believe I picked Ultra over the rest due to being able to hide the taskbar icon so the other computer couldnt tell if you were monitoring remotely.

5. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

I use LogMeIn to manage all my systems:
    LogMeIn Free

6. smallhagrid

smallhagrid Registered Member

Thanks for the replies folks.
    I think it is great that there are such strong personal preferences for this kind of application.

There are huge, comprehensive charts regarding many of these applications at wikipedia - here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

But that does not provide the info I seek.

I was hoping for some actual evidence of testing, perhaps some form of rating as is done with anti-virus products...some good, empirical info upon which to base a better educated choice.

With software I find that likes/dislikes are only helpful if the stakes are low; but with security-involved software that is not the case at all.

The element of risk is much too high to take chances with remote-control applications and before I install/enable any I want better info - or I'll just do without it.

Thanks !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.