REMOTE ACCESS: How SAFE do you think LogMeIn really is??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jack10, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack10

jack10 Registered Member

I was hoping to get some feedback from those familiar with the remote access software called LogMeIn (logmein.com).

Their website says that the product has 256-Bit encryption of the connection between the remote computer and the host computer, but I was wondering if those more security-savvy among us see any flaws in the product or could recommend an obviously superior remote access product?

--Jack10

2. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I wouldn't pretend to be security-savvy but I do use logmein which may be mutually exclusive statements anyway :) .

I think that there is a certain leap of faith made when using this sort of facility to connect to your remote system. Has 256-bit encryption been used? I wouldn't know to be honest and would have to trust the facility provider to be telling the truth.

The biggest threat probably comes from someone connected with the organisation who may be in a position to access my login and password.

If you want to reduce the risk to convenience ratio then one way would be to not access your PC via someone else's portal. I also use Radmin which connects two PC's directly and performs very well. The benefit of logmein to me is that I can use it from any PC without having to install anything on that PC.

Graham

3. fluegge

fluegge Registered Member

As far as I can tell, it's secure. Also, I use the feature where it emails a code to me before I can login. This way, if I'm on a computer with a keylogger, they can get my password but the code changes each time I log in and they can never intercept that.

4. dNor

dNor Registered Member

It's pretty secure, although I prefer VNC through RealVNC or UltraVNC.

5. jack10

jack10 Registered Member

Just a quick thank you to all who have responded to this post. You have provided some super advice.

Thanks!

6. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Since the OP asked if there are any alternatives to LogMeIn, what are everyone's thoughts on CrossLoop? It seems to me it might be one of the easiest to use. Not sure it is the most secure or full featured though.

7. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Teamviewer would have to be the most featureful, free remote control app.

teamviewer.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.