Reliable Internet Router

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

My few month old D-Link Wired Gaming Router started doing periodic reboots this morning. I replaced it with an old Belkin Router which still works. I would like to get a "very good" quality new Router to replace the D-Link Router.

Are the ZyXEL Firewalls better hardware quality than your "typical" home network type routers?

I am looking at this new ZyXEL model. This new model has been on the market for around two months.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181144

Yes it is pricey and I would probably not use most of the options. I want good quality hardware and good reliability.

I called ZyXEL support and they warned me that it is not Gaming and Wii friendly, but I never game and never plan to have a Wii.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I would try the D-Link again. Assuming it is now unplugged, putting it back in the network and attaching power will complete a reset cycle and it may just work again. If you have to reset it often, I would check D-Link for a firmware update and if none, then maybe you should try new router. D-Link is a reputable brand and it is important to note that even the best can have a few bad samples.

I personally would avoid that ZyXel. It is too new. I have found ZERO professional reviews for it. I would stick with brands known for reliable home networking products like Netgear, Linksys/Cisco, D-Link and a couple others. I really like my Netgear WNR3500L.

I also note that while Wireless N is much better than previous protocols in terms of compatibility with different brands, it is my experience you still get a more robust network if your computer adapters and wireless router/WAP come from the same maker.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I currently have a tplink router. current uptime is 50days. the last downtime was due to decorating and firmware update.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Not bad! But, since I have not had to redecorate or upgrade, and since all my network gear is on an UPS, I'm looking at 195 days and counting.

Netgear Uptime.JPG

5. TheKid7

I went ahead and ordered the ZyXEL early this morning. Only time will tell if I made a mistake. I will give the Dlink a try again in the next couple of days. If it seems to still work, I will keep it as a spare. I am currently using a Belkin which is about 7 years old and still works.

I did find one user review of the exact model that I purchased. I get the impression that the person knows what they are talking about. I know, it is "only" one user review.

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Interne...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Also, the earlier model, which the one I purchased replaces, has some decent feedback.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181021

6. TheKid7

I placed the new Router into service for the first time today. It seems to work fine.

At first I thought that the Router's 4th LAN port was defective, because I could not reach the Router's configuration interface with it. It turns out that the default's for the Router's LAN's is: LAN Ports 1 & 2 = LAN1, LAN Port 3 = LAN2, and LAN Port 4 = DMZ. I switched LAN Port 4 to LAN2 in the configuration.

The only changes from default that I made are:

1. Login & Password
    2. Setup ClearCloud as the DNS.
    3. The changes already mentioned about the LAN ports.

This new Router sure has a "Bunch" of configuration options that I will probably never use.

I was surprised that the new Router is "Made in Taiwan" rather than "Made in China".

Before I placed this new Router into service, I tried the D-Link Gaming Router again and it seems to work now, but I do not trust it. I will keep it as a spare. Now I have two spare routers: D-Link and Belkin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.