[Release] RVS 2008 Personal Edition

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Coldmoon, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello everyone,
    Thank you for your patience and support while we completed the work needed to bring the Personal Edition to release.

Mike

2. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

The download site (majorgeeks) only shows the premium build 2.0.0.5007. Is it advisable to wait until the new personal edition build shows up or is there an alternate download site. Thanks.

soccerfan
    [edited to include 'premium']

3. Coldmoon

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Mike: Do you have a link to an idiot's guide to RVS Personal? I keep wanting to look into the program but I have no idea where and how to start.

TIA for your help! :)

5. Coldmoon

Hi HAN,
    We do not have a guide but are planning for upgrades to the site in the future. I would start with a search of the forums for keyword "Returnil". There are quite a few discussions of our software and ISR technology in general.

A specific thread I think will help you as well:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196103&highlight=Returnil

Mike

6. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Hate to ask this after every new release but I like to be sure...should I install this version over the top of the old version or do you recommend an uninstall of the old version and then install the new one?

7. Coldmoon

Uninstall the old and install the new.

Mike

8. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

Build 2.0.0.5011 working perfectly here on XP SP2. Did not install
    Virtual Partition, & running in memory. It's nice to have the option
    to disable the SysTray tooltip. Thanks.

9. Firebytes

Thanks Coldmoon.

The last time Returnil released a new version you advised it would recognize the old installation. So if I hadn't asked this time I probably would have installed the new version without uninstalling the old version like I did the last time. That's why I like to ask; things can change.

I assume I can leave the VP alone when I uninstall 1.7 and the new version can use it, or does it need to go too and let the new version create its own?

Thanks for all the help and for a wonderful program. Keep up the good work.

10. InVitroVeritas

InVitroVeritas Registered Member

Great, I have been curious about RVS for a long time. Time to test it :)

A very interesting thread, although since the tested RVS was then an older version, I wonder if in the current 2.0 of RVS I should undestand "> Total session save" as meaning a support of continuing virtual sessions across restarts ? Which would help for testing programs of which their install requires a restart, right ? Or is ShadowUser still the only virtual system utility which supports this ??

- Regards,
    - IVV.

11. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

So, except for the additional features available in the premium edition, does the personal edition offers the same level of protection as the premium?
    Thanks and congratulations for the release!

12. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Firebytes asked:
    2.0 will recognize and support 1.7x Virtual Partitions. There have been improvements in 2.0 like third party access restrictions that you might want to consider when deciding to create a new VP with 2.0.

InVitroVeritas asked:
    Commit to disk and total session save features are limited to the Premium Edition. The Premium Edition however does not support changes across reboots. This is a testing specifc feature that is better performed using envirnments like VMWare, VPC, Virtual Box, Xen, etc. We do plan future developments that would have a branch of the RVS product family which supports this...

glentrino2duo asked:
    Yes, the Personal Edition and the Premium Edition share the same System Protection engine. Where the Premium Edition differes is in its flexibility to allow commit to disk operations, movement of files between the Real and Virtual systems and visa-versa, customizable file/folder saving, and total session saving.

Mike

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Small Q if I may
    This may sound like overkill:

If I have a couple of Linux VMs set up and boot with Returnil, then go into vm and -as I have done, heh, 'occasionally' screw up the VM while experimenting as root - will the Returnil reboot bring back the original VM set-up.

I'm asking as I will sometimes forget to make snapshots in the vm.

and

Can I copy files out of the Returnil virtual system to an external drive ?

Sorry if these have been asked before.

Regards

14. Coldmoon

Hi Longboard,
    Yes, if the snapshot file the VM is using is stored on the System Partition it would be no different than any other file when using RVS protection. This would also apply to having protection on and then trying to save changes made in the VM in the same way so there are pros and cons depending on your purpose at the moment.

Yes

Mike

15. Firebytes

It has been reported in the Returnil forum at CastleCops that the new free version of Returnil has a registration that is only good for one year and then the system protection ceases to function as it would in the paid version. Coldmoon states that this is mainly meant as a reminder to the user to check for new versions of the program. I am not sure if one would be required to register again to continue using the program (if by any chance there had been no updates; unlikely I know), or if a reinstall would be in order. I am sure there would probably be a new version in that amount of time but I am still not keen on the program ceasing to function after the year is up. I think it should be up to the user whether they want to update or not and I like the way the 1.7 version (which I am currently still using) never expires.

Hopefully Coldmoon will come by and flesh out some more of the details as to what all happens at the end of the year and what made them decide to change the registration.

It is a free program though so I guess I can't complain to much about the registration expiring even though I don't necessarily like it. I do greatly appreciate them offering Returnil to us for free, along with all the hard work and support that Coldmoon has provided. I hope the program is continued to be offered for free.

16. Coldmoon

Hi Firebytes,
    We have no intention or plan to stop providing a freeware version of RVS. The reason for the limitation is exactly as stated as a year can be a long time, especially these days where malware is evolving at a faster pace. This pace is only going to increase and we cannot afford the luxury of assuming what we develop today will never require upgrade or improvement.

Mike

17. Firebytes

I had already posted again before I saw your recent post here Coldmoon.

I really do appreciate your generous offering of Returnil free and I am grateful for your prompt support of the program. Let me ask a question though that I am curious about. I asked in your forum but thought I would ask again here so others could benefit as well who might not see the Retunil forum.

If the purpose of the registration expiration is only to remind users to check for new versions then why not just issue a pop up after one year stating that it is recommended to check for new versions and leave the registration and program functionality alone?

Thanks again.

18. Firebytes

19. Firebytes

Was I the only one in the dark about the previous 1.7 version's registration having an expiration?

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have upgraded to the new version, and immediately see some improvements. A minor but welcome improvement is the ability to disable that annoying bubble message that appears when you boot up telling you that system protection is off. :D

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Actually i liked that bubble alert myself, kind of unique, but to each their own.

Main thing that i would like to express here is that i long been a fierce loyal of Power Shadow Master and it's advantage of shadowing the entire Disk and not just a single partition, but the one feature of Returnil that's turned my attention more to it is been the Virtual Drive.

That thing is exceptionally instantaneous and just as quick to unmount. And it comes pre-NTFS formatted (I think). Not only that, but the Memory Virtualization has really struck paydirt with my habits.

RVS 2008 has a really efficient system and EVERYTHING functions flawlessly without even a single hint of difficulty no matter what other apps i pair with it. Performance demand is non-existent! I only impliment an enemic 512MB of memo.

The Returnil Virtual System is made of steel, and that it also protects the MBR is another major PLUS!

So, i'm sold. My research can now proceed without ISR's or even Images although adding Returnil to say an FD-ISR snapshot is just another icing on the cake.

Let's get on with it. :cool:

22. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

EASTER,

For some reason, reading your posts never fails to remind me of a squad of cheerleaders at full force.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

solcroft,

That could be because the shoes i'm in seem to fit pretty well these days.

24. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

@Easter,

Are you using the free version or paid at this moment and do you see an advantage of one over the other for your current use and thanks.

Gary

25. Firebytes

[GLOW="red"]WARNING: Long & Rambling Rant To Follow...read at your own risk![/GLOW] :blink:

I am having a difficult time convincing myself to switch from the 1.7 version of Returnil to the new 2008 version. As most of you know the new version has a one year "shelf life" and then it ceases to function the next time you turn off the protection. Apparently this new development was of no concern to anyone besides me the first time it was brought up here (judging by the lack of responses at the time) :( but I was wondering if anyone else here has a concern over the registration's expiration or has stuck with the older version of Returnil instead of moving to the newest version?

Concerning the registration, Coldmoon announced that the "expiration" is to assure that users upgrade to newer versions in order to maintain adequate protection. He also announced that the older version also has a limited lifespan as well (two years) and that it also then expires and ceases to function. That little fact concerning the 1.x versions is something that as far as I know was never brought to light until the new 2008 version came out. I assume it was just an oversight?? Maybe it was announced and I missed it...it doesn't state that it expires in the 1.x verisons' GUI though, it just says it is a registered version.

Anyway, why not just offer a pop-up to announce the need for an upgrade after a year and allow program functionality to continue? I am sure not all users are concerned with Returnil as a primary protection against malware, although it is definitely useful in that area, and even if they are they could make the decision to upgrade or not after the reminder. Some people use it more for protection against changes to the system by visitors, children, grandchildren, or even from themsleves when testing new tweaks or just trying out programs from trusted sources. Why should they be forced to upgrade to a new version which might or might not work with their systems? The 1.x version is more than capable of that kind of protection. Yes, I am aware that Returnil versions have been super stable but new versions of any program can have the potential to conflict with certain setups, etc.

I know some other free programs have to be registered again in order to continue receiving updates, etc., such as Avast, but Avast states that they use those registrations to keep track of how many users they have for the product. Returnil is already registered upon download (a good thing) but that means they can't use registrations to keep up with how many continued users they have. Granted, they can keep track of how many times each version is downloaded. Maybe that is why it expires instead of offering a pop-up to upgrade, since that forces users to download the newer versions and allows for the tracking of the number of users. Maybe the lifespan of the program is intended to allow for an eventual move to a paid only program? I hope not.

I don't really know about any of this but these are the things that have been on my mind. Maybe I am the only one out there concerned about any of this. Maybe I am just paranoid (although the voices in my head assure me that this is not the case o_O). Maybe I should just be grateful that they even offer the program for free at all and shut up?? Now, I am grateful, don't get me wrong. Returnil is a wonderful product in my opinion and one of the few I have come to truly depend upon. So maybe that is why I worry about the expiration so much. Maybe I just fear that it is on the way out as a free program? Hmm, maybe that's it. Not sure, but for whatever reason the expiration really bugs me. :(

Anyway, I apologize for the long rambling post (you were warned) but I do feel a little better now :rolleyes:. Any thoughts from anyone else concerning the expiration, or perhaps my need for psychiatric care :D? Perhaps Coldmoon will offer some more explanation on top of what he has already stated to quell my concerns. That is if he an make heads or tails out of my lil' post. OK, I'll shut up now and see if anyone has any thoughts :blink:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.