Reinstall vista? registry cleaner?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fontaine, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Last time I did a reinstall was 1.5 years ago. I don't have any problems and don't see the need to reformat/reinstall. Some people do it twice/year though. Any reason to reformat/reinstall? I use revo uninstaller and regularly clean with ccleaner.

Also, what is the best free registry cleaner out there? I use the CCleaner one but it doesn't seem to get everything. Figure that if I clean the registry and delete unused programs, i shouldn't have to reformat often, right?

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

The only time I reformat is due to virus/malware attack.
    I found out computer slowness is caused by bloated antispyware software or bloated security suites. Sometimes by hardware problems ie slow video card or bad drivers.
    I also rarely use ccleaner because I don't think it will make my computer run any faster but it won't make it worst.

Recently my computer started to slowdown, I traced it to avg free antivirus software I was using, I replaced it with avira free antivirus and I regain my speed again. Sometimes it's that simple to gain improvement.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

There's a certain comfort that goes along with :eek::D familiarity. From my point of view ;) frequency's good!

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you don't backup your system, reinstalling Windows yearly is a way to keep problems from developing. On the other hand there's really no rule about it, if your system works well why bother.

About registry cleaners, I use jv16 PowerTools 2009 (I also use CCleaner, only the cleaner section though). I don't think that any of the registry cleaners can be defined as best, jv16 PowerTools has a good reputation.

I also would like to add that with XP Home/pro the registry cleaner had a visible impact in terms of improved performance, with Vista not only I could never see any improvement but some third party programs had to be reinstalled after letting the registry cleaner freely clean. As a result I very rarely use jv16 with Vista, and when I do I'm looking for specific entries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.