Regular vs Win PE Boot CD's

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bbriley, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

Hi,

I have used B and R Suite 10 ever since it was a new product, and it saved my neck twice in the past 18 months. Once a few months after installing Win 7 (which I did 20 months ago), when the operating system crashed HARD after three months and wouldn't reboot, and then once when getting a new/used PC with bare metal discs in January, 2011, when it was a simple matter to use the Boot-Restore disk and use the saved images (from an external USB hard drive) onto the new/used PC with the bare metal disks. I am so grateful for your excellent program!

However, I am now asking about what the difference/advantage or disadvantage it is to use the standard Linux/DOS boot CD compared to the Win PE boot CD (I see that it is a separate download) for my Win 7 desktop PC. Is there any advantage to the Win PE boot CD compared to the standard boot CD's that have served me so well?

Thanks for any help here!

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The regular boot CD is Linux based and sometimes it doesn't have necessary drivers or has marginal drivers for your hardware. New, leading-edge systems are more susceptable to this problem than older, commonplace PCs. Linux drivers tend to lag Windows driver develoment.

The WinPE disk is a version of Windows and uses the Windows drivers. Also, the Paragon product apparently allows a driver to be injected into the WinPE configuration if it is needed. The Linux configuration, AFAIK, is only changeable by Paragon.

The WinPE recovery may allow a faster recovery of your image due to more efficient drivers. I wouldn't want to say this would apply to every system out there.

If you know the Linux CD works with your system and you are pleased with its performance then there is no real need for the WinPE environment for recoveries.

3. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

Hi Seekforever,

Your reply was VERY informative and I appreciate it. I learned a good bit from it. Thank you.

I did create a WinPE boot disk from the Paragon download, but I also have retained two Linx boot disks as the first line of defense, since it's worked flawlessly to date.

4. X21

X21 Registered Member

Seekforever, or anyone in the know...

There are two different downloads for the WinPE recovery CD...

1. Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Suite - WinPE based Recovery CD Image (English)

2. Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Suite - WinPE based Recovery CD Image (RE Iso-Image) (English)

Can you tell me the difference in them and if there's an advantage to using one over the other?

Thanks.

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

ISO-Image implies that's all it is and you must burn the disc using whatever means and the other does that automatically for you. I have HDM2011S and it had the later only. Either way the end results should be the same with a bootable disc.

6. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

B&R Suite includes 2 components:
    System Backup (tray application) and full Backup and recovery Suite as separate program.

1. Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Suite - WinPE based Recovery CD Image (English)
    >> contains all features of B&R Suite full program

2. Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Suite - WinPE based Recovery CD Image (RE Iso-Image) (English)
    >> should be used for restore archives made by System backup

The first one could replace RE iso image, but RE automatically finds backups created in Backup Capsule by System Backup.

7. wptski

wptski Registered Member

So the second one is WinPE without B&R Suite? That second option isn't offered with HDM2011S.

8. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Second option is for System Backup component only. It consists of Restore wizard and a few recovery features. This component is not included to HDM2011.
    The first option contains full features and options of B&R full program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.