Regrun or / & Spyware Terminator

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DickDiver, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DickDiver

DickDiver Registered Member

Hello

I am a bit puzzled at the moment cause I dont know what to do in order to have a bit of security. At the same time I dont want to slow down my PC too much.

Windows SP 2
    Firewall: Comodo V3 + Def (mostly paranoia)
    AV: Nod32 2.70

Then:
    I had for some time Boc running but it missed something I had caught sometime so I went for Spyware Terminator. I liked it and it is supposed to care for many things. Also I can if I want make an on demand scan with Clam...(fount one trojan Nod32 missed once).

But then after some time I noticed that a new 'service' had installed and I missed that one. I dont know how that came but it wasnt a friendly service ...

So I installed for a try the new RegRun (had V2 or V3 years ago and it was good). Wow. Lots of things were added now by the programmers and they blew the tool up. Anyway I am impressed by partizan anti trojan method eg.

But my PC gots slow now.

My question cause I am really no techi is it wise to run this setup? Or can I get rid of one? Eg. Only Comodo FW + Def(HIPS I think)+
    RegRun (may by I dont need all parts of it..?)
    or
    Spyware Terminator (without HIPS cause I hope it's better to run that one in Comodo FW).

greetz
    DD

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Not sure at all. If you aren't very techy (a bit like me) you might find Comodo 3's defense+ a bit much to respond intelligently to. It's a form of HIPS, as you know, but if you can answer the alerts safely I would imagine that running realtime AS in addition might be unnecessary. Especially as I've read (mainly here) pretty good reviews of NOD's effectiveness.
    Really comes down to how protected do you want to be? If you store CC/password information that could cost you a lot of money, then some slowdown (if that's what it takes) is worth it.
    I use ST with HIPS, as I find that easier to respond to than Comodo's. More experience with it, I guess, but also read that Comodo 3 without defense+ isn't as effective a pure firewall as the previous version. Pity, 'coz I quite liked it.
    I'm curious to know what the unwanted service that installed was, and how it got past ST, though.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

4. DickDiver

DickDiver Registered Member

Thanks alot

It is always great to have a free oportunity!

To answer the first question I must admit I cant remember the service and the circumstances. sorry.

At the moment I will use Comodo +hips Def and nod 2.70.

Regrun will I use when something is going to be installed and Spyware Terminator will I still use as online scanner. Cause I havent noticed much performance impact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.