[ RegProt ] Apologies but I don't know where to post this

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Baldrick, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Apologies but I don't know where to post this

Hi there o_O

I have just downloaded RegistryProt and checked out the help text re. how to install. It states "installation is easy - just run rpsetup.exe, and follow the directions. Then, simply run the rpadmin.exe program, and click Install, and then click Start. That's all!"

Unfortunately, looking in the .ZIP the only .exes are regprot.exe & rpadmin.exe..............and running regprot.exe does not install anything but starts running RegistryProt immediately.

Can anybody advise or suggest where I should really post this question.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Baldrick :D

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re: Apologies but I don't know where to post this

Hmm, this is interesting. It appears that DCS updated the "kit" used to download RegProt. When I first downloaded it, a few years ago now, it came down as an EXE based automatic installer named rpsetup.exe (as you mentioned). You ran it like any other basic application installer to add RegProt to your system.

The new download at the DCS site provides the ZIP file you mentioned, which does not include an installer. However, that ZIP file does appear to contain all the pieces of RegProt that the auto installer places in the target installation folder, so I suggest these modified install instructions:

Create a folder to hold the files associated with RegProt. (Something similar to \Program Files\RegProt is easiest.) Unzip the contents of the downloaded ZIP file to that folder. Run rpadmin.exe to enable ("install") regprot for automated startup on your system, and also to start RegProt active in memory.

Any time you wish to shutdown or remove RegProt from auto-startup, run rpadmin.exe again to do so.

I imagine DCS will need to change their installation instructions, or make the auto-installer available again. Either way, it isn't that big a problem as RegProt is not at all a heavy install. It does not add massive numbers of registry entries and such as many other products do today. A simple unzip and go installation should surely work, though it is not quite as easy as automated installation.

We'll move this to another forum section later. Posting it here is not a problem for now.

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Re: Apologies but I don't know where to post this

Hi LowWaterMark

Many thanks for the prompt response. What you suggest makes perfect sense so I will give it a go and see what happens.

Best regards

Baldrick :rolleyes:

4. Squeak

Squeak Guest

It appears that Regprot doesn't have an installer program as well as an Unintaller. If you were to uninstall would it be possible through Add/Remove programs or would it be a lot more complicated ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.