Registry tampered with Help!!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Christoff, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christoff

Christoff Registered Member

Hi everyone
    Didnt get much help on the forums you kindly gave me for analysing Hijack.
    On further investigation it would appear that i have some kind of virus. When windows starts up it seems thete is a file loading just before the panda antivirus. It removes all links to my .exe files. cant start regedit, configsys etc. from information i have gathered over the internet it looks like the sircam32 virus it removed the "%1\"%" entries from my classes\root\.
    I saw a posting on here which i followed the instruction and downloaded the regfix file. i entered it into my registry after scanning with panda. it corrected the missing entries. restarted machine still no .exe files I have checked everything that is running with security task manager i cant see anything that should not be running. I have also run adaware and spybot. can anyone advise me..
    Thanks
    Chris

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Will Panda run in Safe Mode?

Cheers :D

3. Christoff

Hi blackspear
    I cant run safe mode either still get the same problem. I ran the Panda through BartSE. I have also run online scanner. It seems just before The antivirus loads on boot up i get this window it wont let me log on unless i press ok.

4. Blackspear

Can you get into Windows at all? If you can you could try placing your Windows CD in the drive, click start> run type in CMD, when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks) SFC (System File Checker, a part of Windows File Protection) will replace any changed/damaged system files with a clean copy. SFC may not solve every problem, but it's a good start that anyone can do.

Failing this you could try a Windows Repair by booting off your Windows CD.

5. Blackspear

If you have access to another Clean computer with an up-to-date Anti-virus, you could slave your hard drive off that system and run a scan. This will remove any viruses, then it's a matter of installing Windows over the top of itself...

6. Christoff

Hi thanks for the advice. Run online scanner and found 6 viruses. Why pandas all singing all dancing protection didnt see it or indeed stop it on entry i dont know. anyway is there anyway of installing over the top keeping existing settings etco_O

7. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Sometimes the malware nails the AV before the AV can nail the malware; that might be what happened here. ;)

8. Blackspear

See post number 4 above ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.