Registry Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I am using WeatherPulse to monitor Weather. For some reason, every time I start my PC two instances of WP start. One automatically closes, so it really doesn't result in a problem. But I am seeing this in the registry. Does this look right? Should there be these two almost identical keys? Should I delete one of these?

Attached Files:

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I'd remove WP, clean up the registry, and reload WP. If problem persists, then I'd try another software. It's normally best to auto load only essential applications (like AV and FW) during boot. This will greatly improve system reliability.

You can create a batch file to auto launch these non-essential applications after a successful boot.

Go to your car an turn on ALL bells and whistles (lights, blower, AC, radio, etc). Now shutdown the engine and restart the car. Note that these items are disabled while you crank the engine.

3. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Yup! Either that, or simply uncheck the dupe in Msconfig > Startup

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks. But which one? Does it matter?

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

uncheck that one.

6. Dazed_and_Confused

But how do I tell which one that is??

7. TonyKlein

The reason one of them closes automatically is probably because it notices one process already running.

Simply uncheck either of the two, and you should be OK.

8. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

There is no dupe there

it is set as HKLM to start globally if you have a different user and HKCU as you when you log on
    It always does that when you have multiple accounts on the computer

If you log on as a different user then the hklm entry will start it

I would run HJT and fix the O4 HKCU entry as it's redundant rather than using msconfig for this one

9. TonyKlein

Well spotted, Derek; I must remind myself to read the fine print as well... ;)

10. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

It's only because lots of the malware puts in 2 entries to make sure that the current user always gets it that I noticed it

11. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, DVK. I've never used HJT before, but it seems to work OK. I found the entry you noted above, checked the box, pressed "fix". :)

12. Dazed_and_Confused

nod32_9 guest: I read your post the other day, and made a note to come back here this weekend when I had time to address it. You have a very good idea here that makes sense. :)

I'm going to try setting this up this weekend, although I must admit I'm not an expert at batch files. But I believe I can stumble my way through it.

Question for you (or any other authority on this issue). I assume I should start my firewall and AV normally. Looking through the list of items in my signature, are there any others that I should start normally, and not via a batch file?

Note: Obviously, some of these I don't start every time I start my pc, such as AdAware which is an on-demand scanner.

Thanks!

13. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Yes, you should auto load the AV and FW. I don't see the need to run anything else during the critical boot cycle. You can disable non-essential proggies under MSCONFIG\STARTUP, SERVICES, and START\PROGRAMS\STARTUP. You may need to go into the properties and/or options tab of some programs to disable the auto launch feature.

Keep it short and sweet during PC boot. My WXP Pro partition uses 62MB of Peak Commit Charge (windows task manager\performance) after a clean boot. Physical RAM load is under 190MB 90% of the time. I auto load ZA Pro 4.5.594 and Avast Home email scanner (no full-time monitor).

You should also delete all items in your Prefetch folder (C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch) once a month. Reboot and windows will create a new NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf list. The Prefect folder will improve the PC boot time and launch time of some applications. If you're only interested in improving the boot time, then you can empty all items in Prefetch, reboot, and wait about 1 min for windows to load NTOSBOOT. Now go into SERVICES and set TASK SCHEDULER to MANUAL mode. This will lock the Prefetch folder in this state. Reboot PC. Note that some programs like NAV requires TASK SCHEDULER to run for proper update of the virus definition file.

14. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks again, nod32_9. :)

My main interest is to "improve system reliability", as you originally stated. In that case, shoule I worry about the prefetch folder? I assume deleting items in prefetch folder will not hurt anything?

15. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

There is no harm in deleting the contents of the Prefetch folder. System stability and performance will improve if you don't auto-load non-essential tasks. My system doesn't need Task Scheduler, so I set it to MANUAL mode. If you encounter problem in MANUAL mode, then change it to AUTO. The goal is to load ONLY the essential programs required for proper operation and security.

We know that W2K/WXP is a stable OS. The trick is to come up with a very small number of programs that will get along with each other, and run them only when necessary. It's much easier for the user to isolate a problem if there is only a small number of applications running in the background. Additionally, the system will have extra resources and CPU clock cycle to crunch numbers. Having too much UNUSED physical memory can hurt performance because windows needs to use more CPU clock cycles to manage the additional unused RAM.

You are a BETA tester each time you load a program. I have several good image files for backup. Until someone breaks down my primary defense (FW/AV), I see no need to further secure my OS.

Those with children should set up a dual boot system with TWO independent primary C partitions. The kids get to boot into a LIMITED USER account. You can always clean up windows by reloading a good image file.

16. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, nod32_9. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.