Registry programs?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PC__Gamer, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

Which ones work on x64 windows 7?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi PC_Gamer

CCleaner works fine, jv16 works.

Rico

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm sorry but I have to ask the age old question... Why would anyone want to use an auto registry cleaner on a healthy machine? There is zero objective evidence that they help a healthy machine. Zero! Unfortunately, there is factual evidence of auto cleaners trashing machines.

And if a PC is in poor running condition, there is still scant evidence that an auto registry cleaner can help. In a recent issue, PC World magazine posed the same basic question I make and advised to not use them.

If there are registry problems, then one of 2 things should be performed. A manual cleanup by a qualified user, running something like Nirsoft's RegScanner http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html or save one's data and do a re-install of Windows. Anything else is IMO, wasted time.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Because registry cleaners solve problems and clean junk from registry, decreasing its size, defragmenting registry after then can boost PC a little.
    CCleaner is for me the best registry cleaner, because it is weak, so mostly it removes only problems and nothing else like others, which damages OS.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Eusing free registry cleaner was rated one of the better registry cleaners....CCleaner is widely used but it's very....conservative, doesn't really reach in and do much. (granted that can be a safer approach)

However, study after study has shown that they do nothing to increase performance. Heck, even last months issue of PCWorld included this in an article about speeding up your PC..that these "registry cleaners and defrag" are all snake oil these days (even though they continue to advertise these products...LOL)

Even if they remove several thousand stale entries...it's like removing a single grain of sand from a huge beach, you're not decreasing registry size in any appreciable manner. Not to mention the registry itself is quite a small file, so it's not speeding up the PC.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

True, decreasing registry size by a few MB (like from 80 MB to 55 MB) makes only a little difference, but I as far as I can tell, it was allways noticeable.
    On the other hand, I would not buy a registry cleaner nor recommend it, simply because there is not any good, I tried all "best" and all crippled something.

7. guest

guest Guest

Well, I always used Ccleaner, which has a very basic registry cleaner built in, but recently I bought the PC Tools Registry Mechanic and liked it a lot.

It's a complete software, with all needed options and tools in a clean and attractive GUI. The performance remains the same, but it solved some weird problems on my Win 7 that happened after an incomplete uninstallation of Google Toolbar and Orbit Downloader, like the IE8 download window taking ages to verify the integrity of any downloaded file. Another problem that I saw it solving was the Action Center icon on taskbar taking ages to load on startup.

I use the x86 Win 7, but PC Tools Registry Mechanic is compatible with the x64 version too. Very recommended: http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/

8. PC__Gamer

well, i was having a little trouble with my registry hence why i started the thread.

i went on a trial-binge and all the top-names could not fix my issue for installing Borderlands due to a windows installer problem.

i tried Registry Mechanic, system mechanic, ccleaner, jv16, pretty much all the popular big names and they did nothing to fix my problem.

that is, until i found RegCure, it fixed the problem and 100's of others and let me install my game, they sent me a discount link and i purchased it and couldnt be more happy.

true, i dont experience registry problems often, but to see for myself one that as actually fixed something for me, was worth its purchase purely on that basis.

cheers for the input guys. :)

9. guest

guest Guest

10. PC__Gamer

nah, it fixed my computer.

i read some of those comments and people complain about it not being free,

it is true, they offer a 'free scan' but they dont fix them unless you pay for it, but ive seen other companys use this sales technique too - this doesnt make it scamware/phisware or whatever they want to call it.

i went down the dodgy line and got some serials from some sites to test the product, wrong i know... but i had to know which one would fix my computer, before i went ahead and actually purchased it.

so, although its wrong... i didnt want to pay for something that might not have delivered, i understand some people may think ive done wrong, but personally i think ive done right.

I do the same with all products im interested in, to see if they deliver, it would really annoy me buying something that didnt work as described.

-----

just incase anyone thinks anything out of the ordinary:

regcure.png

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  11. PC__Gamer

1.png

its the only one to fix my problem, so people shouldnt be too quick to judge.

im happy anyway. :p

12. guest

guest Guest

Right, but why don't you start asking for full trial versions of software by mailing the maker companies?

You pose a great risk to your security and privacy by going to warez sites.

13. PC__Gamer

true, and its not something id probably recommend myself, but ive been using computers for many many years, and am fully aware of threats and how to judge what and what-not to do or use, but its easier & quicker than asking them for full trials, and i trust my security.

...especially around the holidays. :)

14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I only trust Ccleaner. Its light on cleaning the reg. Oh sometimes Registry Mechanic is good too. Never killed my system this way. I cant say this for other reg cleaners with much more "cleaning".

15. PC__Gamer

i wouldnt say Registry mechanic killed my system, it just never fixed the issues i was visually seeing, so in my eyes for my own experience, it wasnt good enough.

i bought the only one that did, so i think i made the right choice ;)

16. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Ups i think you misunderstood me. Ccleaner and Registry Mechanic never killed my system :)

17. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

Does simple registry cleaner also defrags the registry? Ccleaner also defrag it while cleaning registry?

18. guest

guest Guest

Ccleaner doesn't defrag registry. All it does is a very basic clean.

Oh, and this feature was my primary reason to buy PC Tools Registry Mechanic.

19. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I also recommend RegCure. Great program. It automatically makes a backup. Its not an option that you can turn on or off. Its 100% making a backup no matter what.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

1. Don't advertise you went to warez sites because you'll just get verbally berated.

2. Don't explain yourself, hell, whose business is it but yours? You're risking YOUR security, not anyone elses.

I've done it, so have a lot of others in this very forum and many still do. Who cares what Wilders or anyone else thinks? It's your system.

Back on topic: IF you use a registry cleaner, use one that gives you the option to COMPLETELY back up the registry and DO it before you even think of touching the "clean" button. I have absolutely no proof registry cleaning helps anything, I just don't like old entries hanging around for no reason. I use CCleaner and that's all. It has yet to cause me any harm.

21. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

I believe that CCleaner makes defragment or something like that. See procedure

1-) I checked my registry with eusing reg defrag it was 7% fragmentation.
    2-) I cleaned up my registry with cclenaer then i looked up with eusing again and it showed me 1.5% fragmentation.

I always wonder that why ccleaner doesn't release a registry defrag application. There are two reasons in my mind.

1- They don't believe defragment of registry.
    2- CCleaner already does this job

I

22. PC__Gamer

not really dw426, i see no harm in saying i use them to test a program out if their trial version doesnt offer full usage, i think 'for me' its the right thing to do before i go ahead and purchase it legitimately.

I dont have to explain myself i know, just thought id mention it before i recieved the 'program A doesnt offer full removal during trial, so why did you buy program B' replies etc etc. :)

also, to answer your other comment, RegCure backs up before every clean, with full 'original' restore if needed.

I do though, i was having registry problems trying to install a new game, Borderlands... and i purchased the other reg-cleaner that fix my issue, also.. some searching around has made me to believe i made the absolute correct decision. :)

23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Registry cleaners gave me more headaches then anything else so i ditched them all.
    In the rare situation that something get in the way and conflict with normal behavior of applications then cleaning the registry could be helpfull.
    But think twice if you delete any key/strings or values.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.