Registry Legacy entry

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lws, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lws

lws Registered Member

Would anyone know what this Legacy entry is related to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_MPKSL3194D331
    In System,System Properties,Device Manager,hidden devices, "Mpksl" with different added numbers ie. "Mpkslb521fec5" and so on keeps replicating itself with different added numbers. I keep deleting them but they keep returning. Never had this problem before. I am in XP Pro SP3 and any information would be appreciated. P.S. I did a google search on the above and got no results.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

A MS Security Essentials service :doubt:

Multiple files starting with MpKsl keep trying to run at startup - part of MSE?

3. lws

lws Registered Member

Many thanks. Yep, I checked C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\{F5007136-30E0-4ADC-BA1F-28BED0EED15E} and Mmksl file is there. As I said, I never seen it before and was wondering what the hell it was. Thanks again.

4. Gemini IDF

Gemini IDF Registered Member

Thanks also from me for that Bubba. I had been getting piles of these 'Legacy' files mounting up in my Registry, flagged as 'Invalid Services' by my Registry Cleaner. Now I know they're undeleted MSE updates entries, I can rest easy.
    I too, had done a Google search with no joy, except that I was worried by a suggestion that they were the result of a trojan! :argh:
    Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.