registry ,how can i search for a single word?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

how can i search for a single word?

for example the word opera , well if i perform a registry search opera with jv16 power tooll , in the list i get word like operation system

is there a way to search for the entire word?

i used jv16 power tool but another program could be good too

thanks
    cheers

ps maybe not regedit.exe

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Why not regedit? o_O

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

because it's very slow in the case of many items called "opera"

i need a program like jv16 power tools

4. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Regseeker :thumb: but its also slow to search and you may get "word like OPERAtion system" searching for opera.Words like "avast" give you more accurate listings.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

When searching the registry, it is often helpful to know what you are looking for. Matching on Opera for everything will return a lot. Matching on whole word only, or matching on Keys only or Value only narrows it down quite a bit.

One approach would be to use a script that writes every match on "opera" to a text file, then you could "parse" that text file out searching for only the word opera, or maybe \opera\ or opera=.

Here is a script that might help: Registry Search Tool
    http://www.billsway.com/vbspage/

Sul.

6. DCM

DCM Registered Member

Try Registrar Lite. It will do the job.

I have used the free version for years and is the only way to go for such searches and editing.

It will display every entry it finds rather than making you search individually for the word time after time while you go through every line of the registry.

A link to their site is

http://www.resplendence.com/reglite

I hope this helps.

7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Yes.

RegScanner (is a litle and standalone app.) - in 'Matching' select 'Exact Match'.

8. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Thank you! Indeed, a nice, little app that's free, fast, and doesn't require installation. :)

When searching the registry, I have always used jv16 but, like the OP, the resultant returns always included a number of entries for which I was not interested. No idea why jv16 does not also have an "exact match" parameter; it sure beats the heck out of typing in a bunch of "ignore words" to narrow the search results.

9. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

In Registry Editor there's an option to "Match whole string only." When that's checked, it will only find "opera" and not stuff like "operation." You might see if JV16 Power Tool has something similar.

10. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Yes, the "Match whole string only" option in regedit works fine for me but it's still quite slow when compared to other scanners and, of course, stops after each match.

Hopefully it's not for a lack of looking.........I couldn't find anything similar to regedit's "Match whole string only" in jv16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.