Registry First aid

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Just ran the trial of Rose City Software; Registry First aid and found 195 entries for deletion/correction.

How safe is this?

Have just thought of small trial; will post later.

Thanks
    Regards.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  2. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Registry First Aid 4.1 will list possible corrections in order of safety, those for experts being signalled with a No Entry sign, and those for people with some knowledge being signalled by yellow triangles.

Version 4.1 also makes an automatic backup of the registry, provided this option is enabled, once a day before RFA 4.1 is run, so it is always possible to undo any deletions. If you want to run RFA more than once in the same day, you can always make a System Restore point for the second run.

If there are any listed deletions, for which you want an explanation before going ahead, you can always do a Google search.

Yesterday I actioned all listed deletions, then could not access the Internet either through my usual ISP or the one I keep for emergencies. I restored the whole registry and all was well.

The culprit, shown in green, was an alleged Invalid Application Path for dcsws2.dll, which I found from Google is part of Port Explorer, so I have amended the recommended deletion to ' Leave entry unaltered'.

When first using Registry First Aid on a former PC, it showed over 700 corrections recomended, so don't be alarmed by number, just look at each recommended change carefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.