Registry File ACL Tool

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by EASTER, Jan 23, 2017.

1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Before I get laughed off the board I will be the first to admit that setting file/registry restrictions is never been one of my best traits even on one of my better days. This child/parent inherit from..... lingo is the most confusing of choices M$ ever came out with IMO but it is windows policy.

@Windows_Security - This is more to your taste so you might have some opinion on this choice of yet another permissions tool I run onto lately.

Apologize if this one has already been mentioned before or is old school but it's new to me for now.

It's named SetACL Studio, freeware and might be useful? Thoughts, opinions, and criticisms all welcome.
    Manage Windows permissions from an intuitive UI

https://helgeklein.com/download/

2. Registry part works, file access control list gives an error, so de-installed, sorry no opinion

3. itman

itman Registered Member

4. co22

co22 Registered Member

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. It shows no errors at all for me (Windows 8.1) x64.

Are you sure you D/L the right one? They have for both 32 & 64 but they are separate programs.

On a better note, I think I finally am getting better at knowing the differences only when after applying changes you have to PRESS Reset Permissions every time which I missed earlier.

The funniest part was while working on applying advanced SELECTIVE settings to subfolders/files and they wouldn't take no matter what until I realized Secure Folders had that one CheckMarked.

This tool might be another mechanics wrench but so far it seems to be OK. Check out this LIST!

https://s23.postimg.org/jdy2fumuz/image.jpg

Bt the way I refuse to use command line tools. It MUST have a GUI or nothing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. Callender

Callender Registered Member

Downloaded and seems okay. Check out this alternative (only for NTFS formatted drives)

http://dbcstudio.net/software/npt/main.html

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks but already have that one. It's useful enough but for me it seems SetACL Studio is playing much better on my x64 8.1 box.

I absolutely DETEST all the crap descriptors like child-parent/inherit from parent lingo. For pity's sake we're dealing with electronic/physical paths and levels of machine permissions not people. Whoever came up with this lame usage need their heads examined.

What's next? Inherit from Uncle and limited access to Auntie but keep cousin attributes with full permissions from child and toddler. Give me a break!

Secure Folders because of it's "driver" though Rulez the Roost so i'm blending both into certain sections separately where they best apply.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.