Registry Defragmentation

Discussion in 'polls' started by blueman, Apr 21, 2009.

?

Registry Defragmentation

1. Auslogics RegDefrag (last FREE version)

8.1%
  2. Auslogics RegDefrag (PAID/Registered)

4.0%
  3. WinASO RegDefrag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Quicksys RegDefrag

3.0%
  5. NTREGOPT/ERUNT

29.3%
  6. Other Stand-Alone Tool for Registry Defragmentation

12.1%
  7. Registry Defragmentation with my Registry Cleaner (Please, name your Registry Cleaner)

15.2%
  8. No, I do NOT use anything to Defragment/Compress/Compact my Registry

36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. blueman

blueman Registered Member

How do you Refrag/Compact/Compress your Registry?

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I don't...I never found it to do anything to help performance. At the most I'll run a registry cleaner like CCleaner on a badly messed up PC, but for healthy PCs...I leave the registry alone. The theoretical .0000003% performance boost you're supposed to get on paper isn't worth the higher risk of the machine running wonky after running some registry program on it.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

NTREGOPT

4. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

I don't use any, but I've tried it once while I was trialling TuneUp Utilities which includes registry defrag :)

5. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I use Xp Repair Pro which has registry and system repair and a Registry Defrager in one app, this is the only one that has ever made my machine run like new again!

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Auslogics (and the one in iolo System Mechanic...) is/are the only one(s) I've found doing it the right way - that's, scheduling it for next boot. This means you don't have to worry about losing data or something because something is actively doing stuff in your registry when you defragment (in the other software...).

If there's some other prog. doing it the "right way", and is free, please PM me. :)

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

NTREGOPT "activates the optimized registry" on the next boot ...

Attached Files:

8. raven211

... And I've used it, and it caused serious problems, which I believe would be the same by now as well - unless it has been updated. NIS and TF wouldn't work after restart as I "defragmented" before those installations and clicked no on NTREGOPT's prompt. Misplacement of desktop icons also occured.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It strictly states you HAVE to reboot immediately after running the program. I've never had issues with it. My routine consists of:

Reboot > CCleaner > NTREGOPT > Reboot Safe Mode > Defrag > Reboot

10. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I've used NTregopt for over five years on all my boxes, and, like elapsed, ive never had a single prob with it.

I sometimes also use the Registrar Registry Manager Registry defrag tool

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks for pointing that out... you made me go back and re-check the Readme file. ;) And there are the instructions:

"To optimize your registry, simply run NTREGOPT, click 'OK', and when
    the process is complete click 'OK' to reboot the computer. You should
    do so immediately because any changes made to the registry after
    NTREGOPT has been run are lost after the reboot
    ."

I always have rebooted immediately after optimizing, until last night that is. Last night I messed around and did a few other things before rebooting. Fortunately, there was no harm done.

I too have used ERUNT for at least a few years without any bad experiences.

12. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I set up a test system using the most recent 7zip backup image of my Win2K system. Prior to making the backup image, the registry was cleaned of usage tracks by MRU blaster. By using 7zip to restore the image, all files including those that make up the registry are whole.

I ran REGOPT on this system to see if it could improve on what I already did. The registry size reduction was minimal, well under 1%. There was no noticable change in system performance. As far as I can tell, all REGOPT does is copy the fragments of the registry files, then rewrites them as unfragmented files. If they're not fragmented to start with, there's little or no gain. On PCs with one OS, that can be useful since the OS won't allow you to copy the files while it's running. On PCs with more than one OS, each OS can defrag the others registry files just by copying them, deleting the originals, then pasting them back.

13. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Some of you like to play with fire don't you. Leave the Registry alone!!! Backup it up before you start playing the game of compress it down to size. Years ago it was the System.ini under Windows 3.1 now it's Registry under all versions of MS OS. Defrag your HDD, and clean out the junk files, just be careful of your temp files.

Some of these optimizers you got to be cautious with otherwise you can screw-up the registry and then well you know insert the OS CD and start installation again.. Unless you have a backup image you can recovery from.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What ERUNT and NTREGOPT do.
    What Acronis TI does. ;)

15. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I am using the truely life saver Registry WorkShop to optimize registries (one among other tasks it will safely do). Essential tool, IMHO.

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I use Auslogics RegDefrag (last FREE version) and I am quite surprised, that it is no longer freeware, time to change.
    As for performance, it helps as well as defragmenting HDD, along with proper registry cleaning it helps even more.

17. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have used ERUNT/NTREGOPT for a long, long time and have never had the slightest problem from doing so. I do always reboot immediately after using NTREGOPT though so that may be why.

18. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

In order to really understand Windows, one has to understand and be able to work with the registry. Knowing where and how to tweak the registry is central to making Windows perform at its peak while making it look and behave the way you want it. Many of the settings that affect the security of your PC are there.
    That's the first thing you should do whether you're working on the registry or using the PC normally. Not having backups is playing with fire. On my 98 system, protecting the registry was as simple as using a few batch files. On dual and multi-boot PCs, the same methods can be used to protect and defragment an NT systems registry. All the NT registry files can be copied, deleted, etc with batch files that are run from the other operating system.

19. raven211

What happens if something is actively creating or modifying things in the registry when the defragmention occurs? I dunno... maybe when downloading through Steam? o_O

20. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Yes I know on XP manages the system, but cleaning out the registry once in a while is okay. But these programs will have to do either daily or weekly. I just can't see defrag the registry going to help or compact it down. And to much cleaning the darn thing going to make it work poorly or cause some problem.

21. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

22. TairikuOkami

Thanks for the tip, it looks nice, unfortunately it does not work on Windows 7, removes half registry like most others, strange mistake though. :rolleyes:

23. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Useful info, thanks.

Do you know if there is internal changes in Windows 7 Registry'main structure, comparing with olders Windows OS? If so the current registry cleaners don't do a good work also. Did you tried NTRegOpt either?

It seems that isn't good idea to use registry cleaners/defrag in Wind. 7, if they don't support it yet: BSOD on registry defrag.

24. TairikuOkami

Free Registry Defrag works in W7, but not entirely. It does not fix missing shortcut icons, like in Vista. Nevermind, I moved back to Vista, I will wait for W8. :)

25. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't mess around with the registry any more than is absolutely necessary, and defraging it is not necessary.

bigc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.