Registry Cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dazed_and_Confused, May 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatkid

phatkid Registered Member

by green light, i imagine you mean the greandot to the left of the entrieso_O?

i was going to ask if that is what you guys were talking about were o.k. to delete :)

thankfully that is all the entries were......green light go

phats

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

That's right -- JV-16's "flags" are very handy and probably 99-plus percent reliable.

The green ones are virtually always safe to delete, even without backups -- in a (rare) worst-case scenario, any application or process that really does need one or more of them will typically just re-create the entry/entries next time you run it.

Make it a rule to never touch the red ones -- JV-16 feels, rightly or wrongly, that these are critical. Typically they relate to the OS itself. (As a P.S., one of JV-16's options when you're running the cleaning is to not even display the red ones, probably a good choice.)

The only problem area is the "in-between" ones (I forget how they're color-coded) which JV-16 can't pin down to either critical or unnecessary. Your best bet is probably to try deleting these but make sure you save the backups until you're sure there's no problems without them.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello, MikeBCda! I've noticed that (at least on my PC) a lot of the red ones are flagged that way due to certain words in the entry that are in some type of ignore list. Do you know how to edit that ignore list in JV16 v1.3?

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Sorry I can't help with that one, D&C -- I wasn't even aware there's such a thing as an ignore-list in JV-16 and wouldn't have a clue how to set it up.

Whoops, just took a look, and JV-16 calls its red-flagged items "ignored entries", so that's where that comes from. You're probably best off ignoring them too, because JV-16 thinks they're critical to your system and unsafe to delete.

When you start a registry-clean, you get a page or two of tick-box options ... right near the top, there's one to "Display ignored items". If you un-tick that, they won't show up in the results, and you'll only have to deal with the green ones, which you can safely dump, and the "maybe" ones which you can usually dump-with-backup.

Clear as mud now? ;)

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, Mike. However, I'm almost sure some of those flagged items are OK to delete. Try examining some of the ignored entries, and some of them will say something to the effect that an entry was ignored because the entry contained a certain word, such as "security", or "windows", etc. See pic.

Attached Files:

• JV16.gif
      JV16.gif
      File size:
      15.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    We can highly recommend RegSupreme Pro as we have just finished beta testing it. In the past we had tried just about every other registry cleaning program and some work all right but this is the reigning champion.

It is *well* worth the money to re-imburse the developer for all the hard work to bring this to us.

Be seeing you

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Hello Mr Q. I have used RegSup in the past, and it's a nice proggy. But frankly, it doesn't hold a candle to JV16. When you say "just about", you obviously overlooked JV16. Give it a whirl. I'm sure HMSS could make good use of it. :D

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

By looking at the Macecraft website (http://www.macecraft.com), RegSupreme Pro looks like a light version of the shareware version of JV16 PowerTools.

Nick

9. Dazed_and_Confused

True. For some reason I've found JV16 finds more bad entries than RegSupreme, although RegSupreme is supposed to be just the JV16 reg cleaning tool. I don't understand it.

10. Dazed_and_Confused

By the way, it's possible that the folks in QSection may not have tested JV16 in their Registry Beta Test area since JV16 is a lot more than a Reg Cleaner.

On the other hand, they may have just misread the test results. Knowing how the folks with HMSS enjoy their Martinis (...shaken, not stirred), and they may have decided to indulge themselves prior to evaluating the test results. :D

11. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Dazed_and_Confused
    Answer:

More features but not necessarily better:
    Since Jouni Vuorio created Power Tools and sold the rights to Macecraft one would imagine that the latest version of RegSupreme Pro (the latest incarnation of the registry cleaner portion of jv16 PT) would be the best (i.e. jv16 PT vs. RegSupreme Pro), n'est pas?

So they both should deliver great registry cleaning but Power Tools has more features than simply just cleaning your registry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.