Registry Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dsweiner, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsweiner

dsweiner Registered Member

Can anyone please tell me if True Image 9.0 can be used to backup the registry? If so, how?

Thanks,

Davido_O

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I think you’d have much better luck using the Regedit export feature and saving the resulting file where ever you wish. The "registry" is scattered about in several places.

3. dsweiner

Thanks for the reply.

4. Unimatrix

Unimatrix Registered Member

in windows 2000 / XP you can use ntbackup.exe to do this task.

Klick systemstate on the left side from the source tree.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

dsweiner,

If by backing the registry up you are trying to create a backup of the system, you would be much better off by creating an image of the system partition. This way you wouldn't run into discrepancies between settings recorded within the registry vs. those in other system files outside it.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The win xp registry comprises data from several locations. IN a standard configuration on a networked computer, these would be
    C:\windows\system32\config\security
    C:\windows\system32\config\software
    C:\windows\system32\config\system
    C:\windows\system32\config\default
    C:\windows\system32\config\sam
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\MIcrosoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
    C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service\ntuser.dat
    C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\
    Windows\Usrclass.dat
    C:\Document and Settings\[current user]\ntuser.dat
    C:\Document s and Setting\[current user]\Loacl Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\Usrclass.dat

Some of these are hidden, protected system files. So it will be hard to copy them individually if windows is running. If you want to save the registry settings, then open Regedit.exe and export the entire registry to a file. The file will be a *.reg type of file. If you double click on a .reg file, it's contents will be entered into the registry.

sh

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Then what exactly does Window System Restore actually do?

Xpilot

8. shieber

It overwrites some of the system files, including the registry hives, drivers, etc, with older copies. Windows can do things with Win system files that others can't.

sh

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Yes, but as far as I know that's a "merge" operation. The registry will not be restored to its previous state as any additions entered in the interim will remain put. That may, or may not, suit the purpose.

At least that's my understanding, though I wouldn't bet on it.

10. shieber

That's correct, sort of, dending on what "Merge" means. Running reg files is largely a combining operation, except that same keys/strings with diff values are overwritten, not written double.

Trying to capture the registry by collecting all the hives is a pita unless you use a program designed to do it. An export from regedit is good if you are concerned that your reg will get mucked up in the immediate future and you want to ensure you have a backup of it. A restore does a better job of restoring to an earlier state, especially if some time has passed. And if you really want to ensure that you can put your PC back the way it was at some specific time, do a full image backup up and restore the image if necessary.

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

That is why I always make a fresh Windows system restore point before making registry changes or installing a program which I will want to clear out when I have finished playing with it. I save the TI sledgehammer for when I really need it.

Xpilot

12. x71us

x71us Registered Member

ERUNT a free software will make a registry backup very nicely. It seems to work really well & can be configured to back up the registry every time your computer starts. I some respects it works better than System Restore. WinRescue SP will also do this but is not a free program.

13. dsweiner

Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.