RegDefend, Online Armor, PG....WHICH ONE?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Birdman, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I'm currently running Norton Internet Security 2006 + WinPatrol 9.8.0.1 on XP (2.13 GHz, 512 MB of RAM) through DSL on direct modem connection (tweaked settings + manual system services, etc).

Can someone recommend a good program to run alongside my current configuration?

RegDefend, Prevx1, Process Guard, Online Armor, RegRun, Ewido....

Not sure what program of the above is recommended. I'd like to ONLY install ONE due to the fact that I'd like to keep my system's speed and performance in tact.

Any suggestions/help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I currently run ProcessGuard (full) and paid versions of RegDefend and WormGuard with WinPatrol Plus. I do not have WinPatrol set to realtime monitoring.

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Id check out system safety monitor too ,as it contains all that winpatrol does and much more ,and doesnt use that much resources (im using it on 9:cool:.I bought it after trialing it for a few days (also trialed online armour).The support is very good too.
    ellison
    ellison

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

WinPatrol guards HOSTS file, Startups, cookies, IE helpers, file associations.

Online Armor is a full-fledged Host-based Intrustion Protection System (HIPS). It protects against dangerous applications, based on a white list (updated daily) PLUS real-time monitoring. It guards HOSTS. It protects against harmful stuff while surfing the web. It protects against dangerous email. It guards against keyloggers. It lets you specify sites where you want extremely high protection (such as your banking site, stock broker, etc). In a couple of weeks OA will add a full-fledged firewall. Firewall will be free, but optional as to whether you activate it. OA runs on Win9x ME, XP, 2K. It uses ~28 seconds of cpu time in 30 minutes of total computer operation. For extra protection that will play nicely with your existing security programs & will have near-zero impact on speed, I recommend you give OA a trial. As my granny used to say about chicken soup when I had a cold, "Just one bowl -- it could'n hoit cha." :cool:

5. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I have been trialing OA too, and I think it has the most comprehensive protection of all the HIPS as well.

Not to mention their support is very helpful, and the fact that they are constantly improving on their product with new features and the like...

6. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Choosing one app only I'd probably choose Prevx1 or Safe N Secure. A lot of protect across a wide range not too noisy either.

7. Birdman

I actually tried Online Armor (trial version) and quickly ditched it after my internet speed connection dipped by almost 40%. Also the OA uninstallation process messed up my system and would not reboot. Had to go inrto Safe Mode and do a system restore.

Sorry but I was not impressed with this app at all. I think I'm just going to stick w/ Norton Internet Security and WinPatrol. :)

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Seems like you may have had some sort of conflict - you should not see a massive speed reduction at all with OA!

Feel free to swing by our forums (we cannot do 1-2-1 support here) - if we can figure out why your system slows down and it's a real bug in OA I'll sort you out with a complementary copy.

Cheers

Mike

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I used trial and no such issues like this. Just uninstalled it today and it was instant. May be some conflict. What other appliances you are running. I have used it with Avast, Antivir, NIS, Kerio, ZA Pro, Jetico, PG free, AntiHook, MSAS, WinPatrol free etc ....sorry long list -- without any conflicts.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will suggest OA or PG. Best is to install a trial version of one or both and choose whatever you like.

11. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I tend to get a slower boot and a bit of a hit online

12. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I have no issues with OA and recommend it to be at least tested and see for yourself. It`s the only way to know how something will play on your own system.

13. Birdman

I currently have only 3 programs set to start: Norton Internet Security 2006, WinPatrol (plus version) and cFosSpeed v2.12 (licensed/paid).

From all the reviews, it seems like Online Armor is a fine program and my earlier response was NOT to "put down" this software....just the fact that I encountered a few bad experiences when installing this app. Maybe it was compatibility issues w/ either Norton or cFosSpeed? But whatever the reason was, my down speed went from around 1186 kbps to around 695 kbps. I also noticed system slowdown as well (start up, application launch).

Another issue was the un-installation process. After I uninstalled it and needed to Reboot....my WinXP boot screen would not load on startup (just went black). I tried this a couple of times with no luck and luckily I was able to boot into Safe Mode and restored an earlier save point.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. This is a great community!!! :)

14. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

i tried OA w/ NOD32 and ZA free and then Kerio 4.2 and it worked fine. no slowdown

even with the multiple warning windows of Kerio and OA :)

15. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

newer had a slowdown with OA even beta version of OA or OAAV+ and I'm gamer
    For me OA is a very great commercial product :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.