Regdefend does not play nice with ewido

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by BrainWarp, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I have had alot of problems during my trail period with regdefend and ewido.While reg is running and i try to run a scan --ewido would flicker and cause my whole desktop to flicker real bad.

I don't know if the latest version works or not being my trial is up---but if they still will not play nice i Unfortionly will not be able to make a purchase.I had really liked what regdefend had offered in protection.

But with on going improvements maybe in the future they will learn to play nice with each other.But like i said i quess i will be unable to find out untill i do a format being my trial is up.

regards

ps -- i was very impressed with your program--i think there will be a great future for regdefend.

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi BrainWarp,

On my system, RegDefend and Ewido are getting along very well, so there must be another variable somewhere. Maybe you can list your entire software configuration. Besides RegDefend and Ewido, I have KAV 4.5, Prevx Home, and UnHackMe. I am running Windows SP2 with all updates. From time to time, I will load other programs for a short period of time with no problems.

Rich

3. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

agree, Ewido and Regdefend, are working here without a problem!

4. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Thats interesting, I also don't have an issue with screen flickering with RD and Ewido

You did make me curious about what was going on so I fired up Winspector to see what windows and windows messages were happening and noticed something interesting with the text at the bottom of the ewido window

The text at the bottom of the screen appears to be a graphic that is part of the main window (which is called Ewido_MainWnd) and if I understand what I am seeing correctly the window is repainting itself every time it updates the text string

So if I understand what I am seeing then the flickering you are seeing is at least in part due to the way that ewido is coded and the way it interacts with your desktop.

Somehow it seems that RegDefend is playing a part in your problem
    Just out of interest have you tried any other applications that cause the screen to flicker in the same way ?

Does the same thing happen if you do an antivirus scan at the same time as an Ewido scan ?

What is your machine spec (CPU speed) and what type of graphics card are you using ?

Do you have clear type enabled for your display ?

Jason may have some more ideas tomorrow

NB: I am not implying that ewido is deficient in any way, the observations (if they are correct) are just that

5. BrainWarp

Hey guys

Thanks for your thoughts.But when i say flicking--i mean the ewido and my desktop blink in and out.It really looks like every thing is going crazy on my desktop.This ONLY happens when i have ewido and reg running at the same time.

The only other programs running is drweb and cachman xp in realtime.Now all my other programs run just fine--spybot,ad-aware pro,ad-watch monitor,port explorer,regsupreme pro

I just named some programs that i run on demand and not realtime.They have no effect with ewido.

You guys know how it is.Sometimes when things happen on a computer it's just not possible to find an answer. o_O

It is strange

6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

During this flickering, are there any registry alerts shown from RegDefend? I'm thinking maybe Ewido was blocked from performing some registry operation and it kept on trying to do it, or something along those lines.

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I have override permission granted to Ewido in my RegRun extensions to RegDefend. Not sure which registry item Ewido is trying to access.

Rich

8. BrainWarp

Well my trial is up so i will be unable to find out anymore.In the beginning of the trail i had no idea that the problem was between ewido and regdefend.I really don't have time to play around with the computer every night so i quess i will not find out if anything else works.

I just can't see in a purchase and then it still may not work right.I have spent alot of money in the past --for programs not to work right later.

But of course then--i did not have a forum for support.As i remember one of the programs that was a waiste of money was pest patrol-------------------I t gave way to many problems with limited support.

Anyways==thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.