RegDefend and AppDefend don't seem to like internet messengers

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by zero_saiyaman, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zero_saiyaman

zero_saiyaman Registered Member

I'm a recent member of the pool of those who own the ghost security suite, and have been an avid user of ghostwall for a while now. But I've run into a little snag with the suite I recently purchased inregards to messenger services (Yahoo, AIM, Trillian, but haven't tested MSN yet).

Both AppDefend and, but even worst, RegDefend cause the entire computer to totally lock up when they attempt to get my allowance for messenger programs to do their stuff. It's become rather annoying, and I don't know a way around this. Even the task manager is completely crashed when I try to activate it during this hang.

My system is relatively new: Athlon X2 5200+, 1 gig of memory, and windows 64-bit. Any and all help to try to resolve this problem will be greatly appriciated.

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi, I'm just wondering if you have done any pinpointing to make sure it is indeed AppDefend/RegDegend causing these problems with the messengers. Is it only messengers you are having a problem with, or are there other applications which share similar features to these messenger programs?

3. zero_saiyaman

Yes, I've done pinpointing. RegDefend starts to load (the outline of the gui appears) and then it stops and the computer hangs. AppDefend will load up its gui, but not totally either as the buttons can't be pressed and there's no way to interact with the program: everything on the computer hangs again. I've turned off other background programs during my tests, but no matter what I do, what is off or on, the same things always happen, unless I disaible reg and appdefend, then the computer functions like normal. Also, no other program on my computer has ever before, or now, had problems with these messengers, or caused my computer to hang like this.

Indeed, this only happens with the messengers. I've tested Yahoo, Trillian, and Aim with this. Albiet, I can just disable and then reinable reg and appdefend when I'm loading up the messengers; but even after I do that, if the messengers try to open a link, or perform some action, the computer is locked up when reg or appdefend try to prompt me. The messengers are a part of our life style, which is why this is such a pain unfortunately.

And thank you for your quick reply ^^.

4. zero_saiyaman

An amendment to all my posts: The reason I posted in this forum specifically is because the permissions on AppDefend can be set so it ignores the messengers, and thus they play nice. I'll just go find if I can do the same with RegDefend and give them the permission to do whatever they want, or just leave RegDefend off (since AppDefend is so powerful anyways). Doesn't look like anyone else is having this problem either.

But anyways, thank you for your response, and for such great products ^^. The best out there by far.

5. f3x

f3x Registered Member

So basicly you are telling that you can receive gss alerts from others programs, but as soon as you install *any* messaging client ... it dont works.

I understand how important messaging application are and indeed i have a few alwais running on my computer with no problem with gss. It's very rare that a whole set of applications are imcompatible with a single one.

Here's my guess: Can you verify if any of your security product(antivirus ...) have IM protection and disable this ? Maybe your antivirus (or other) is doing somme dll injection to protect IM client from virus and react baddly with appdefend / regdefend.

When a part of gss ask for your confirmation it suspend the thread. Maybee there can be a thread syncronisation issue. I suspect an antivirus because IM and Email client are both programs that are traditional vector for virus.

6. zero_saiyaman

Indeed I thought the same. And these programs are already installed, it's just the running of them that causes issues.

Yes, I have an antivirus, avast!, to be exact, and it does watch IMs, but I disaibled it for my testing as it was my first guess of all. Nevertheless, problems still arose with both app and regdefend. Most likely it is as you said and some sort of sychronization error going on. I've noticed that windows is rather easy to break if anything happens involving network access, and since that is what the messengers are trying to initialize when they are being suspended, it could be the network drivers I have vomit and kill everything. Infact, even updating the network drivers (nvidia 570ultra based board) can cause the computer to blue screen and restart, which is rather bothersome.

More than likely, I'm guessing if I reformatted and reinstalled everything anew, there wouldn't be a problem. I installed these programs on the heels of a massive virus attack, so my system is still a little... uppity and shot right now, even if it is clean finally.

I'll keep working on it, and I thank you guys for all your help.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've never had any problem with gss and msn or gaim.

8. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

I have had this problem in GSS for X64 but only with Trillian. It installed ok until you first run it. System would partially freeze. It does resolve itself if you allow the settings I put in the Pic to automatically work in Appdefend for Trillian. It would appear Trillian does some weird stuff in the background and GSS has an indigestion about it but I cant figure out what it is...

On a side note. I disabled then "Removed" MSN messenger from my system. If you put scopes on it you will not be impressed with what it does...
    My recommendation: Get rid of it!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  9. zero_saiyaman

Lol, yeah MSN messenger is pretty much like security swiss cheese. And thanks for that screen shot Hermes!

Eh, I reformatted and all that, and now AppDefend doesn't seem to have a problem with Yahoo, but RegDefend still does the exact same thing which totally hangs the system. I don't know what it is about Yahoo that's doing it. I manually set an application rule for Yahoo to let it do whatever it wanted to HKEY_Local_Machine, but RegDefend still tried to pop up and froze the computer when I turned on Yahoo. I have no idea what it is about Yahoo 8 that's causing this.

Edit: Aim and Trillian work just fine, it's just Yahoo that RegDefend is throwing a fit over. :/

10. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I think this error is related to the network blocking method AppDefend uses on XP64. The next version uses a different method (though at the moment it's untested on XP64), so if the new method can be translated to XP64 fine it should be fixed in the upcoming version.

11. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Hello Jason,

Speaking of "upcoming Version" .... Wana give us a ETA? at least for a beta.
    Last you let us know, I think the words you used where "Days" and that was last year! To be fair last December I think.... :cautious:

12. zero_saiyaman

Lol at Hermes.

Ahh, I had a feeling it had something to do with the network. The fastest way to break XP is to mess with the network. It really seems to hate that.

I look forward to this new version :D

13. joopbraak

joopbraak Registered Member

I think the problem is your NVidia network card. They are notorious for causing problems. Sometimes it helps to disable "Checksum Offload".
    If not, get yourself a real network card for 20 bucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.