Regarding virus testing site and Symantec

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tbplayer, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbplayer

tbplayer Registered Member

I've been using VirusBulletin for many years, and from this forum I've learned about AV-Comparatives. Something I've noticed about both sites is that Norton/Symantec is either not tested as frequently as other av programs, and sometimes isn't is the ratings at all. Does someone know if there is a reason for this?

2. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I've seen this question asked before, and usually the answer is that some AV Comparison sites conduct tests that Symantec does not believe provide an accurate representation of their security product. This usually snowballs into a debate between pro-symantec and anti-symantec folks. One argue Symantec doesn't like the bad publicity, while the other argues Symantec has proven itself and continues to prove itself independently. I've used Symantec/Norton when it was still a heavy application with hit & miss protection. I'd say they've improved substantial since the release of Norton 360 and do not deserve some of the cr@p that I've seen circulated around some forums.

Personally, I think the av comparative sites including most reviews (magazines, blogs, etc.) provide companies a means to pay for good publicity. Some companies just don't want to pay to compete. A decision I personally respect. Of course this is just my personal opinion. I'd say test out as many antivirus as you want and see what you like. I don't think you can go wrong, as long as you implement a layered security approach that doesn't conflict.

3. tbplayer

tbplayer Registered Member

This part is troubling, because, as you indicated, it does get me thinking that Symantec desires to avoid comparisons because they're afraid they will look bad. In the current-day market, it seems like no one can afford to rest on their laurels (just observations, not trying to incite a Symantic pro-con flame war :D ).

I guess I'm naive, because I just assumed companies did not pay for the comparison tests.

I was recently reading a study done by AV-T which was partially funded by Symantec - for me, their financial involvement colored the outcome of the study.

And that leads to something else I've wondered - if a test is a real independent study, can't the testers use any product they choose?

Thanks. I've sussed out my solutions and in the process tested several products, for myself and my customers. But after reading these comparison tests for several years it didn't make sense that some major products would not be included - I just didn't consider the money angle.

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

For this reason. I will never install a Symantec product. Not even for testing as a trial. I don't trust a company that is afraid to show its results on AV tests online. Leaves many questions unanswered about how well it does.

just my 2 cents worth

5. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

If I had to throw in my two cents ... the thought that Norton/Symantec was government owned (hearsay) sends chills down my spine. old school norton. My parents insist on using there products due to familiarity. Still an ESET advocate, it's been a reliable product and I like that with each new version it talks to me more. I get weirded out when a product sits quietly doing o_O

6. itman

itman Registered Member

It always help to read particulars on the AV test org web site.

AV-Comparatives has a section that explains why Norton products are no longer tested there. Symantec wanted to control certain aspects of the testing of their products. AV-Comparatives said that was against their test criteria. So Symantic bowed out of having their products tested there. This is nothing new, Comodo is known to have the same demands.

Personally I believe one has to use some common sense when reviewing test results from any security organization. I beleive that AV-Comparatives being European based favors EU AV vendors. Partiality happens all the time with these test vendors for a slew of reasons. One of the most glaring is Comodo and Matousec.

My recommendation is to use the various AV test labs and other industry tests like those done on PC Magazine as a staring point and then do your own testing and experimenting.

I personally deplore many of Symantec's business practices but I believe their current retail security products are the best available. That is based on my use of NAV and NIS over the last two years on multiple PC platforms and diverse end users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.