reg watcher keep changing

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lynchknot, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Hello. I have it on defalt.I see much of this example:

Now, for some reason, many of my startups in msconfig are gone!

What is this - please. Thanks.

2. lynchknot

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

3. lynchknot

something is just not right about regwatcher when I see the repeatedly. I picked up regwatcher because of some comments from this board - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=54666.

4. lynchknot

5. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

Just spotted this thread. If this *is* MJ Regwatcher 1.2.4.1 you are running, then the messages seem to suggest that MJ Regwatcher is trying to restore a key to its former state, and is not being allowed to (happens every sweep). Have you got MJRW in Auto-Reject mode (the trayicon is blue) ? If so, then it is trying to restore the key without prompting you. Put it into Auto-Accept mode, and see the log for changes that are being made - probably a service auto-updating or something, so it may well be legit.

On a different issue, I have just received a very clever e-mail which poses as an Amazon gift certificate, but comes with an attachment called
    Evan_Rutledge@Amazon.com
    I inspected it and it is definitely an executable of some type (begins with MZ). Does anyone know the url of that site you can submit these to to see what it is?

MJ

6. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

7. lynchknot

It prompts, I allow, and it repeats. I disabled the app and noticed many of my startups were missing - for instance, winpatrol - I did not uncheck "start with windows" but it was unchecked. I manually put them back in.

8. Graphic Equaliser

It sounds as if something changed in the startup folder, and it cannot restore it to its former state. It will restore bfore prompting and the restore is failing, so it keeps going.
    MJ

9. Graphic Equaliser

Loss of startup keys means that something changed the "hk...run" key and MJRW is trying to restore it. MJRW wipes out all values from the key it trying to restore, and then puts back what it has stored, This "putting back" is being refused, and that is why you lost your "hk...run" values. If the "hk...run" key was protected, then it couldn't have "cleared" it in the first place. It managed this so it is able to delete values, but can it write new values to that key? What are you logged in as? If you are at administrator level, then this is a mystery, otherwise it could be a user policy in force. Anyway, those are just some ideas. HTH (a bit),

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.