Referrer blocking software

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dread, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dread

dread Registered Member

Been looking around for new application that blocks ads/popups and that block referrer. I know there is Proxomitron but was wanting something more up to date. [SIZE=-1]AdSubtract PRO did both but they stopped making it and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the last time I used Ad Muncher it didnt have it and I just got [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Super Ad Blocker and it does ont do it. Does anyone know of a program like [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]AdSubtract PRO that does both?
    [/SIZE]

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Is this what you are looking for?

Attached Files:

3. true north

true north Registered Member

Hi there,

look into Kerio 4 firewall settings.

true north

4. Hillsboro

Hillsboro Registered Member

If you are using firefox there is an addon to block referrers, as well as Adblock Plus. I used Ad Muncher (great program) with IE but it didn't do as good a job with FF 2.0 and the price was right for Adblocker plus.

5. dread

dread Registered Member

Forgot about that setting Travellinman. It gives a fake one. Not exactly blocking but that works. There is no problems with Firefox, I know all the extensions and stuff you can get for it. You can even turn off referrer in config. To bad internet explorer cannot do that IE sucks lol. That was the main thing I wanted it for is for IE since you can't do much with IE but get a program to do it for you. Looked around and seen about Privoxy, I should have known about Privoxy though since I use Tor sometimes lol.

6. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

7. mrisis

mrisis Registered Member

Opera has a referrer blocker built in.

8. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Hi

One more vote for WebWasher classic here, although I'm a great fan of Opera. I've been using both in conjunction for years, and just can't stop.

Cheers

Attached Files:

9. dylanfan

WW very useful to my mind...

Attached Files:

• etc.gif
      etc.gif
      File size:
      5.4 KB
      Views:
  10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Proxomitron is a few years old (and won't be developed further following Scott Lemmon's passing) but its filtersets are still being actively developed and supported (see the CastleCops Proxomitron forums for more details) and, as far as referrer blocking/filtering goes, it is as effective as anything else (in fact more so since it is one of very few external filters than can handle https: traffic).

Proxomitron's main downside is the complexity of its filtersets (which can go way beyond anything else bar Greasemonkey in customising websites) which can make troubleshooting problems a little harder. If this is the problem then certainly consider one of the options suggested above, but a lack of recent program updates (which applies to WebWasher Classic also) is not, on its own, enough to merit a switch.

11. JeffBuck

JeffBuck Registered Member

Proximodo is another simple, light & free (GPL licence) good alternative

Attached Files:

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I need to edit my post. Although Proximodo looks intriguing, the forum says the project is dead.

I am gonna give Privoxy a try.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  13. tlu

tlu Guest

14. tlu

tlu Guest

Webwasher is outdated. There's no possibility to disable e.g. scripts or referrers on a per-site basis.

15. acr1965

I thought Privoxy would hide referral info but it fails the CSS Exploit Information on http://gemal.dk/browserspy/css.html. I am assuming it is pretty much the same thing as referral info?

16. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

That test is nothing to do with referers, which are a type of HTTP header. It instead uses Javascript and CSS to try to identify if you have visited certain sites - since it needs to specifically check for each site (i.e. a "universal" detector would have to include every domain name in existence) and requires Javascript, it is limited - but an interesting (ab)use of CSS...

17. acr1965

So does Privoxy block or hide referral info? Is there somewhere I could check this?

Thanks.

18. dylanfan

WW is more customizable than you appear to believe.

Attached Files:

• ww1.gif
      ww1.gif
      File size:
      24.4 KB
      Views:
  19. dylanfan

Another screenshot to illustrate...

Attached Files:

• ww2.gif
      ww2.gif
      File size:
      23.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  20. dylanfan

Also, such filters are meant to complement browsers...

Attached Files:

• ww3.gif
      ww3.gif
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
  21. dylanfan

...not replace browsers.

Cheers

Attached Files:

• ww5.gif
      ww5.gif
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
  22. muf

muf Registered Member

The only problem with referrer blocking is that some websites require the need to read the referrer to function. I swapped to Admuncher as it gives a false referrer but the websites that require one still work fine because they think they are getting a legitimate referrer from you. They will only find out after the event that the referrer says the domain you are on rather than the domain you were previously on. I used to get problems when using out and out referrer blocking software but no such problems with Admuncher providing a falsey.

Test your referrer here:
    http://refspoof.mozdev.org/referrer.php

All it says for me while Admuncher is enabled is h t t p://refspoof.mozdev.org/referrer.php

If i disable Admuncher then i get h t t p://www.wilderssecurity.com/newreply.php

muf

23. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

the refcontrol plugin for firefox is pretty handy, it can be set to send the root of the site you are visiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.