Redundant ewido folder?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by jamjar, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamjar

jamjar Guest

Hi

I've recently upgraded to ewido antispyware 4.0. I was prompted to remove the previous version during the process. However, I've noticed that an ewido anti-malware folder is still listed in Program Files. The folder contains 4 files: danish.mo, serbian.mo, hugarian.mo and s.dat. Can this folder be deleted?

Thanks

2. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

jamjar,

The 3 files with the "mo" estension are language files and they can be deleted. The one I am not sure of is the s.dat. I don't mean to offend you but could you double check the name of that file? Is it by chance clsid.dat? Maybe someone else will have a better idea for the last file, that is the one that concerns me.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

3. jamjar

jamjar Guest

Hi

I've checked and it's definitely named s.dat.

Apart from keeping things tidy, I just wanted to make sure that having two ewido folders "anti-malware" and "antispyware 4" was going to cause problems even though the previous "anti-malware" version was supposed to have been removed.

Regards

4. HelpFromFrance

It won't cause problems that it is there, but the anti-malware (the old 3.5) directory should be deleted, but I would wait until some other folks can say something about that last file. Since I am not sure for that one, I would wait. The others, the language files can de deleted.

Sorry I could give you a better answer,
    HelpFromFrance

5. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

If only this files are left you can delete this folder.

BR

6. jamjar

jamjar Guest

Thanks to you both for your help.

Regards

7. HelpFromFrance

jamjar,

No problem, I was sure you could delete, but I prefered hearing it from someone like vinzenz.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I have the same directory left, with the same files. It looks like the v3.5 does not fully uninstall the directory & all files.

9. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Just FYI clsid.dat is not used by ewido 3.5 it is only used by ewido 4.0 ;)

@Biscuit
    It seems so. But I think it is not that problem erasing this folder by hand. ewido 4.0 is known to remove everything. (This was tested by the intern testers ;) )
    BR

10. HelpFromFrance

Vinzenz,

Thanks for the update information on clsid.dat.

HelpFromFrance

11. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Just for the record, I too had to manually remove some "leftovers" after uninstalling 3.5 for the upgrade. Possibly it depends on the OS? (I'm XP Home SP2)

(Edit) Possibly it depends on how you upgrade. I know that 4.0 will recommend removing 3.5 first, but will it also proceed to do the uninstallation itself if necessary? Vinzenz's comment about 4.0 doing a clean uninstall implies this, and also suggests that it does a cleaner job than using add-remove.

12. HelpFromFrance

MikeBCda,

I am not sure, but I did the upgrade on 2 machines, 1 I just left 3.5 and upgraded and it left several things on and the other I uninstalled, ran a Cleaner and then installed 4.0 and it went a lot smoother.

I sometimes wonder if it isn't the differences in machines, software installed etc.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.