Reducing backup capsule caused partitions to disappear

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jimothius, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimothius

jimothius Registered Member

I'm using the latest version of Paragon B&R on Windows 8 64-bit. I attempted to reduce the size of my backup capsule, and let it run overnight. When I came back to it, B&R indicated the process had been successful. However, Windows no longer shows my regular partition on that drive, where I store additional extensive backups (same after reboot)! B&R still sees the partition and the backup capsule and seems to chart them accurately; it even reads the archives in "Check Archive Integrity," and they check out okay. But as far as Windows is concerned, I need to format the drive. Also, if I try to manage the backup capsule, for example to enlarge the size, I get an error on the second instance of "Check file system" and it won't complete the process. The error reads:
    How do I get my partition back with my backups intact? Please tell me it's possible....

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Windows doesn´t show the partition. Do you mean in Windows Explorer, or in Windows Disk Manager? If it´s shown in Disk Manager, did you try to assign a letter to it, so that it appears in Explorer?

3. jimothius

In Windows Explorer, it shows the disk letter, but no meter indicating how full it is. And when I try to access it, it says I need to format it.

In Disk Management, it does in fact show the partitions as they should be. What do I do to make the primary partition accessible in Explorer?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

What I'm saying should be taken with more than just a grain of salt because I've done none of this and there is a bit of speculation thrown in too.

I think the problem is that the capsule is set up with an ID that keeps it away from general use in programs like Explorer to aid in the security of the data.

Have a look at this link even though it mentions a different recovery partition:
    http://uncoveryourrecoverypartition.blogspot.ca/

and other posts you can find relating to partition ID.

I think you want to give it a type that unhides it but does not change its format such as from FAT to NTFS which likely would wipe it. First, I would make an image of your system to an external HD in case it all goes wrong.

Good luck.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

As I understand it, the problem is related to a regular partition, not to the Backup Capsule. Possibly, the Paragon program changed this partition so that Windows doesn´t recognize it anymore (Is it now an "extension" of the capsule?). Another option is to ask Paragon tech support.

6. jimothius

Paragon support came through! I sent a request just before my original post here.

All I had to do was open a command prompt as administrator and run chkdsk on the drive in question. Windows sees it now, and all the data is present. It also appears Paragon can manage the capsule properly again without errors - that is, it's currently in the middle of a "Move partition" operation and making progress, when errors prevented it from getting that far before.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.