Redox - a Rust OS

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by AutoCascade, Oct 8, 2015.

1. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Fairly astonishing to me that it already has a GUI, but then I know nothing of how windowing systems are written...

The whole thing apparently runs in ring 0, per the ycombinator thread. That's not actually necessarily a bad thing, managed code OSes do that too. But redox does not seem to be remotely safe or secure at this point.

It's certainly a fascinating idea though.

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  4. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Yes, interesting, indeed. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to start the iso file in Virtualbox. Will try later again.

5. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I don't know which came first, but their logo is awfully similar to that of KDE Neon.

6. guest

guest Guest

Rust-Based Redox OS 0.6 Released With New RMM And Package Format
    The new rust-based build system now uses TOML file format instead of shell scripts
    December 26, 2020

https://fossbytes.com/rust-based-redox-os-0-6-released-with-new-rmm-and-package-format/

7. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Yeah, kind of geeky, but the KDE Neon logo has 10 dots I suppose sort of depicting the element Neon with atomic number 10. The Redox logo has 8 dots which would represent the element Oxygen... which I guess is sort of a nod to the reduction-oxidation (redox) chemical process? Both logos should probably steer clear of atomic diagrams, imho, although the Neon one is little more acceptable

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Rust-based Redox OS 0.7.0 Arrives with Enhanced Hardware Support
    https://news.itsfoss.com/redox-os-0-7-0-release/

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

10. Gringo95

Gringo95 Registered Member

"
    If you trace back the addresses, you get to this:
    https://etherscan.io/address/0x6365abaad54863bfd11acb6c4b611...

Which in turn shows it came from Tornado Cash which was put on the OFAC blacklist in August. So redox will likely have a very hard time to get this converted."
    There then follows a long discussion about everything from sanctions to how HSBC was founded to launder dirty money but all in all I wouldn't be happy to use any system funded on this basis.

11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Ah that is a shame, the opinions on Tornado Cash seems to be varying wildy. A co-creater of Ethereum said he used it to send money to Ukraine to protect the receivers.
    Any system can be used by someone who uses it for shady/illegal purposes, just like Tor.
    Though if you receive donations as a non-profit organization, and you can't get it converted and may get you into legal trouble, it may be prefferable to miss out on these donations, even if they're huge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.