RED UNPROTECTED STUFF

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by johanna1, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johanna1

johanna1 Registered Member

While looking at protection I realized that I had a number of dialers that were in the list of data things but they were not checked off as protected against. They were ACTIVEX things. I checked them off to get protection. I am also running SPYBOT and McAfee anti-virus. So I guess that even though spyblaster did not protect me, these other things did. Is my assumption correct. If not how can I tell if these bad dialers are functioning?

Also the Spyblaster literature says that Spyblaster will protect against some bad ACTIVEX things from running even if they are on the machine. Will it stop these?

THanks

A novice

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey johanna1....Welcome to Wilders,

There are at least a couple of reasons some items would be showed un-checked.

1) The ActiveX items are stored in the Local_Machine portion of the registry which means one has to have Admin priviligies to write to that portion of the registry. What operating system are you using and if it is NT based(2000 or XP)....do you have Admin privileges ?

Or

2) Since Spybot's Immunization feature and Spywareblasters ActiveX protection entries overlap(contain some of the same entries)....if you undo Spybots Immunization feature you are also removing some of Spywareblasters protection. Would that be a possible occurence in your case ?

3. johanna1

I am the ADMIN and I have the spybot. The immunization is on. does the fact that these thing were on the list imply that they are on my machine. By the way, now that I have DSL and don't use a dialer if this issue irrelevant?

Thanks

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Any items on the list are items within Spywareblaster's database....but no implication should be made whether they are or are not on your machine. They are simply items contained in SB's database.
    Being on DSL, Broadband or Dial-up now a days is very relevant....no matter what program We may be discussing.

5. johanna1

Thanks. So
    I guess maybe these things came in the last update but I forgot toadd them to the protected list. Thanls for your help

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are Welcome.

The not adding them could be the case and just be sure to select Enable Protection for All Unprotected Items after each update....as seen in pic below.

It could also be as mentioned earlier concerning Spybot. If you Undo Spybot's Immunization....it will undo some of Spywareblasters protection.

Attached Files:

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

My mind's less with it than usual today, plus this has probably already been covered a zillion times in other threads, so my apologies.

If, after undoing Spybot's immunization, you then Enable all protection in SB, do you recover all of SB's protection coverage? I realize, of course, that each product's database includes some items not in the other's, which is why we use both, I'm just asking about SB's protection.

Thanks and best.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Very much so Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.