Red hat linux

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ashishtx, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Hi, I want to know more about this linux distro. How does it compare to other linux distro? Is this user friendly?

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

It is really an enterprise level distro (hence the name Red Hate Enterprise) designed to work in companies. I am pretty sure you have to pay for it, but will receive techinal support, a certified product, etc.

It does back a free distro that I know many people in the gentoo forums like, Fedora. I do not know how easy it is, so I can't help you out there ;) However, I have a 15 GB partition that is my "playground" partition, so I may load it up and check out if it is any good.

To summarize my usual rants, go for PC-BSD or Ubuntu if you want an easy to use OS. Preferably PC-BSD since it has the power of FreeBSD behind it which I like so much more then Debian, but that's personal preference I guess.

If you want a power user approach, go with Arch Linux for a binary based distribution.

If you want a compiling based distribution, go for FreeBSD, OpenBSD (compiling discourage but I am a rebel :D ), Gentoo, or Crux. You could also use Arch Linux's ABS to transform it into a compiling based distribution

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. ashishtx

Thanks Alphalutra1 for your elaborate answer.

I will try both redhat and Pcbsd on vmware. Ubuntu did not play good on vmware, to be specific, i did not like the font and could not adjust the resolution of the screen. I always feel like i should give linux a try but using windows has made me lazy. :D

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I think you have to pay for it ($80 for a basic subscription).

Try out fedora (if you want to in addition to PC-BSD), and see what it is like, then report back and give some feedback.

Here is the documentation (there is an install guide and a desktop user guide)

Here is the project homepage (download links are included on this page)

The install is graphical, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Have fun,

Alphalutra1

5. ashishtx

I will try to install them within a week. Need to buy some blank cds. What are the pros and cons of fedora and Pc Bsd if any. Any peculiar feature of these OS?

6. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Hi,
    If you will install them on vmware as you mentioned on your earlier post, you dont need blank CD's. you can show your .iso files as a new CD Rom and go from there.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i ran one of the last betas of fedora before it was released, but just for a few days. it seemed quite nice. i'm not totally sure, but i think the software manager was slow. i've got PC-BSD too, i might be getting muddled up with freebsd, but i think it uses a web based software manager. anyway, that's what i'd look into to help decide which OS to use - the packager manager, you could find out how many packages each has, how quick they are and whether people like them.

BTW, there's a newish linux distro out called mint linux, it's based on ubuntu, but has lots of extra packages, like media codecs, java, a different menu - just things that make using it much easier then ubuntu.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

there's a distro called CentOS which is a rebranded version of Red Hat, it uses Red Hat's code but is put together by the CentOS community rather then Red Hat. i think the differnce between CentOS and Fedora will probably be the software (packages), on CentOS the software might have older versions because it's important to have stable programs on enterprise systems, whereas Fedora will have all the 'latest and greatest' 'bleeding edge' software that might not be as stable, but will most likely be fine to use. a search will probably tell what the differences are.

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

The big difference with Centos (and Caos started by the same people), is that it is community managed - whereas Red hat (and many others) and business managed.

Yeh, Centos maintains 100% compatible with Red Hat Enterprise - it is essentially a debranded version.

Caos 2 is based on Red Hat Enterprise, but has lots of changes, uses its own installers, kernel is built differently, more of a hybrid, taking idea/stuff from Debian and FreeBSD.

Editted to correct some mis-information .

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nick, you use that Caos, no? I seem to recall you saying that.
    How is it like?

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Its not as up to date with desktop features as say Ubuntu (e.g. its not running the latest Gnome), but its a very stable system (server usage is probably the Caos slant), works as well on my laptop as it does my server. Only tweaks we had to do were to do with network scripts (using WPA and stopping WEP getting in the way). I wouldn't say its as non-geek friendly as Ubuntu, but it would suit someone will to learn Linux from the inside.

12. ashishtx

None of the pre-built vmmemctl modules for VMware Tools is suitable for your
    running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmemctl module
    for your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
    [yes]
    Setup is unable to find the "gcc" program on your machine. Please make sure it
    is installed. Do you want to specify the location of this program by hand?
    [yes]

I get the above message while installing vmware tools in rhel 5. I am using vmware workstation version 6 on windows vista. I am unable to find gcc. Can somebody throw some light on this problem? Thanks.

13. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

/usr/bin/gcc

14. ashishtx

I somehow manage to get past the first difficulty of screen resolution.
    Now anyone show me how to install program in linux with .tar extension?
    My other question, does anyone know how to play .wmv files embedded in browser in linux?
    o_O
    Thanks for the help. :thumb: sofar

15. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

What distro are you using, Red Hat, PC-BSD....?

Best way to install software is through the package manager, did you look for the program there before downloading the ".tar" file ?

"to play .wmv files " you'll need the codec pack for your distro.

16. ashishtx

I am using red hat enterprise 5.

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the best thing is to look at red hat docs - forum, irc, wiki etc. 100s of people will have asked the same question before. the reason i say that is when you first mentioned gcc i was going to tell you to install gcc, make and all the other build tools, but maybe red hat comes with them and you have another problem, i don't know because i haven't used red hat. all i'm saying is it's best to get help from people that use red hat. maybe someone here has used it though??

18. FastGame

I agree with iceni60. I don't know about Red Hat, sorry :(

19. ashishtx

Thanks members. I appreciate your responses.

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

to play *.wmv you generally need W32Codec, or w32codec-all, the names vary. you might get it from the plf, or mplayers site, or by adding a repository to your package manager then using that. linuxquestions forum might be a good place to look. :)

21. FastGame

22. ashishtx

I tried it but it's not helping. I tried to install windows media player through wine but no difference, instead i get a message that, "Could not update files, abort installation" I tried various player such as helix, realplayer, mplayer but nothing worked. Learning linux is not easy :'(

23. FastGame

IMO you could have picked a more user friendly distro for starting out in Linux.

PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, SAM Linux, MEPIS, PC-BSD are better choices for the all everything included (or easy to get) distro's. All these are easy yet still posses all the CL power under the hood for the experienced.

Anyhoo don't give up :D

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the first thing you need to do is make sure you have the 'build' files for red hat, without them you won't be able to install anything. you need gcc, g++ (they are compilers), make and some other development libs and header files. they are the things you need to install most programs.

there must be a wiki page, or forum post that will have everything you need to do all on one page? once you have found that you will be fine. that's all i normally do - just follow afew instructions for that distro, when that's done everything works.

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's a flash video that shows how to do it. you need to join that site it shows. red hat is an enterprise distro so maybe you have to pay for support?? there may be a way to do the things in the flash video another way, but i don't know.
    https://www.redhat.com/f/swf/gsstop10_051220/

https://www.redhat.com/apps/support/
    http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/
    https://www.redhat.com/support/policy/cs_FAQ.html

Mint Linux works 'out the box', it has media support along with a lot more. it's based on ubuntu, but has a lot of extra packages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.