Red Hat free of charge

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Andz, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andz

Andz Registered Member

I have heard rumors that it is possible to get the Red Hat OS without paying. Is this true or would doing so violate their intellectual property rights?

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I don't think so, but CentOS is pretty much a RHEL clone without the branding.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sure, the usual piracy. Maybe company/student perks. Haven't seen any public giveaways.

Anyways, other popular Red Hat clones include Scientific Linux and Oracle Linux. There are more, but they're far less notable.

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

You can freely download the source and build the OS yourself, but there is not a readily built version available for download.
    To redistribute the built OS to others; trademarks (as mentioned) must be removed, as Centos does.
    You might as well use Centos if you want Redhat for free as atleast you can get some support from Centos which you won't get from Redhat and Centos tries to be 100% Redhat compatible.

Cheers, Nick

5. Andz

Andz Registered Member

Thanks, guys. I think I will just pay for it.
    One more question. I noticed (according to Wikipedia) Red Hat supports versions for up to 13 years. Is it really a good idea to use one version of a distro for that long?

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If you want but like the others I would just use CentOS.

7. NGRhodes

Its great for servers that do routine jobs and can be left for a long time.
    Note Redhat releases new versions more frequently (approx 3 or 4 years).

Cheers, Nick.

8. Andz

Andz Registered Member

I'm running it now for the first time and works great. Hopefully I'll get at least a good year out of it to justify the 49 USD. So far it reminds me of how solid Ubuntu used to be.

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Why?

For personal use, install Fedora, which is the Redhat-supported community distribution based on Redhat.

10. NGRhodes

Support, stability, package availability might matter regardless of being for personal use or not.

Cheers, Nick

11. Andz

Andz Registered Member

I tried Fedora 19 and didn't like it. Red Hat is much better. It's almost hard to believe the two are related based on my little experience.

12. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Was it because of the desktop environment, or was it more than that?

13. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Andz please try CentOS or scientific linux you dont going to disappointed :)

14. Andz

Andz Registered Member

It's more about what I like about Red Hat than what I don't like in Fedora. With Red Hat I can go from blank disk to perfect desktop in minutes. (It's as if Red Hat read my mind and created an OS specifically for my taste.)
    Regarding CentOS et al, I have heard they lag behind when getting security updates to users. I would rather go straight to the source.
    After a few days I can say my experience with Red Hat is positive so far.

15. noons

noons Registered Member

My problem with RHEL or centos on a desktop is how OLLLLD everything is. Yea great for a server to be sure of absolute stability, but I would never run it on my personal desktop.. I personally benefit more from the latest and greatest desktop environment and software, plus desktop bugs seem to come up / get resolved in major version changes. To each their own though..

16. Andz

Andz Registered Member

noons, you raise an interesting point. It gave me pause when I learned that, ostensibly, Google does not even support Chrome on the current version of Red Hat. Google thinks Red Hat is obsolete!

After using Red Hat for several days, I have noticed the experience is nothing like Ubuntu. I can't install anything in Red Hat. Flash, *.mp3 support, nothing. My only recourse would be to add some weird repository.

Until then, I am pretty much left with only the Red Hat disc and some Yum commands.

It may seem irrational, but I actually disliked Fedora enough that I am willing to live with Red Hat's limitations.

17. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Koraa, which is based on Fedora, supplies what you have to install in Fedora. For those who don't want to tweak Fedora, Koraa is the solution. :thumb:

18. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Did you mean Korora?
    Too bad there's no XFCE desktop choice, only Gnome and KDE.

19. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i suggest you try scientific linux with 6.4 with this repository on live usb or cd

http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=2370

as your security is concern you can enable fast security fix repository in SL

scientific is made by cern so i guess pretty much secure by default but yes 3rd party we have to trust for extra package ..........i do trust tux99 repository for media but then its up to us :)

because it one of old members of forums and he know our biggest problem is basic needs like flash vlc player etc simple softwares so he create a repository for himself which he share with others as well many thanks for him for that :)

as office you can in libre offce from source and maybe kingsoft as well which i didnt try on SL

Read this forums lot of great information even you dont like SL you can still use useful information on others like centos redhat.....etc

also redhat is base on fedora 12 very old gnome 2.28

long time back i wrote some things which still work on SL linux as its base on same fedora 12 core + expect repository things check it out interesting read

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=265473

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.