Recuva v1.24.399 & internet access

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Anyone know why the newest version of Recuva (v1.24.399, released 2/26/09) attempts to access the internet each time it is started whether or not automatic updates is turned on? I have the portable version and the previous version did not do this.

Thanks

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Firebytes, I also have the latest portable version and it seems like one needs to remove the check mark, at least twice, from Automatically check for updates to Recuva in order to work. o_O

Once the recuva.ini file is written, it does not access the Net anymore (at least mine does not). BTW, also un-check the Wizard from starting up.

3. Firebytes

Checked and unchecked the auto update setting several times and Recuva still wants to access the internet upon opening on both my systems. It's no big deal, I just block it with my firewall. I was just wondering if it was doing something besides and update check.

Also I have noted, at least on my systems, that this new version takes quite a bit longer to open than the last one did. I am considering going back to the last version.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Firebytes, check the .ini file with Notepad, making sure that Updatecheck is at 0. The only difference I see between the last version and this one is the addition of UpdateKey=20090228 to the .ini file. All the other settings remain the same.

5. Firebytes

Yeah, I had already looked at the .ini file and it shows a 0 for the update setting. Not sure why it still wants internet access here and not for you. Is it opening a lot slower than the last version for you as well?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Well, the first time I open the file, it takes a long time and I have always thought that my AVG's Resident Shield has something to do with that. Afterwards, both versions open real fast. I'm on Win XP, with 2 GB RAM. Did you compare both .ini files to detect any differences?

7. Firebytes

The addition of the update key in the new version is the only difference in the .ini versions, same as with you. This version may just not like my systems. o_O

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

The only other advice I can give you is to delete and download again to see if it makes any difference. Recuva builds.

9. Firebytes

I deleted Recuva's .ini file and ran the program again to allow Recuva to "start fresh" and recreate the .ini file and now everything is working normally with it on both of my systems. It has stopped asking for internet access on each start of the program and it loads as quickly as the previous version. The only difference I note in the new .ini files though is that one system has the "UpdateKey=20090228" entry in the .ini file and one does not, despite doing exactly the same thing on both systems with regard to Recuva.

I don't know what the deal was before or why even now one .ini doesn't have that entry but Recuva is working as it should again on both systems so I am happy.

Thanks for the help.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Firebytes, you're welcome! Glad to hear that Recuva is working correctly. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.