Recovery - 'validated' backup file is not recognised at restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by leader97, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leader97

leader97 Registered Member

Recovery - 'validated' backup file is not recognised at restore

Running Windows XP (SP3), healthy system, I back up two full .tib archives weekly to my external hard drive:

1. A full backup of my hard drive
    2. A full backup of my data (My Documents etc)

ATI does 'validate' by default and both .tib files are claimed to be successfully validated. So I have 2 .tib files each week and can always go back to a month's worth if necessary.

But...Today I tried to restore my system using the recovery disk was able to access my .tib files from my hard drive. However, ATI would only recognise my data backup .tib files but it said that my full backups were 'not Acronis files' (or something like that) and were corrupt.. Even though both had been successfully validated

Luckily I managed a system restore from Task Manager but I really trusted ATI until now.

What might have gone wrong? Summary: a 'validated' full-system file at backup is not recognised at restore, but 'my data' backup is.

Edit: Now that I'm restored using System Restore I've just used ATI to open the .tib files that ATI had said were 'corrupt' and they open fine with my whole files clear to see. So...It is an OK .tib file but, when I was trying to restore from it I got the messages shown above. Hope this helps clarify and I'm looking for any help with explaining what might have happened.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Couple of things you should be aware of (if you aren't):

A validate means that TI can read the file and re-create the checksums contained within it. It does not mean that the file contents are exactly what was on your hard-drive although that usually is the case.

Validating within Windows uses the Windows drivers and OS environment. Validating with the CD uses the Linux drivers and OS and if there is a problem with them it may fail whereas Windows will work. A restore uses the Linux environment even if started within Windows if the active partition, typically C, is being restored. This is because Windows can't be running to do a restore of the active partition.

Is there any chance your CD version is an older version than the one installed on your machine. TI has changed its image file format part way through version 9 and at version 11. So if you are using a TI10 boot CD it will not understand a TI11 archive.

To restore a bootable partition you need an image backup not a Files and Folders backup even if you copied the entire contents of your HD.

3. leader97

Thank you seekforever for your quick and helpful reply.
    Every chance in the world! My CD was undoubtedly made on v.10, and rescued me when I was using v.10 and I never thought to update my CD. So I have now made a CD recovery disk from the current version.

It's odd though that when I clicked on a smaller ('My Data') .tib file it was willing to recognise it - but not the whole C:\ ('My Computer') image.

Is there a reason for that?

Anyway it makes sense that the CD was not current and I suppose I could do a simulation to check that my new CD recognises the image and doesn't exhibit the same problem(?)
    Yes it is the image backup that has not been recognised (the 'My Computer' option)

Thankfully System Restore was all I needed and it now seems to be OK, although I have run CHKDSK and it did replace a bad sector - but I think I am right in thinking that this is not relevant to the ATI problem unless this bad sector (in a system Restore RP) meant a bad backup?

If there is anything you could add to close this down I'd appreciate it - just anything to help me trust Acronis to get me out of a fix in the future. Thank you

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

5. leader97

That is what I'm planning to do and I'm once again grateful for the confidence you have given me. Best regards :)

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Seekforever has given you excellent and complete advice.

At least, boot from the new Rescue CD (you need to make a new one every time you upgrade TI either with a new version or just a new build). From the Rescue CD, validate a couple of your latest backups that you made in Windows.

If they don't validate, let us know and we'll offer some other suggestions.

Best of all, restore to a spare drive as Seekforever said if you want to be absolutely sure that a restore will work.

7. leader97

I am pleased to say that the new CD now recognises the older .tib image files that it had deemed corrupt before :D - I can't do an actual install but that is good enough for me! No more heart-in-mouth that I got before :eek: and confidence is now restored!

I'll know next time there is an upgrade, you were spot on with your advice, and I thank you both of you for your help and concern. Regards

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thanks for letting us know that you were successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.