Recovery question ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by strat79, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strat79

strat79 Registered Member

My windows broke down and booted from my acronis cd and recovered my system,from a backup on an external drive, for the first time... very fast and smooth :)
    I did not format my C drive first,just made a boot and a recovery,so my question is :
    Does Acronis format my old C drive before doing the recovery, or is it just writing over the old files ??

2. vango44

vango44 Registered Member

I think it just writes exactly what it sees in the recovery image. If the image format is different than the drives' current format, it shouldn't matter since it's just overwriting what's there.

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

The first thing Acronis does on a restore is to delete the target drive or partition. It then restores the image to that empty drive or partition. So no writing over old files - they are all gone.

4. steinr98

steinr98 Registered Member

I did a restore from the desktop not the boot disk and it doubled up a lot of my files a long with a weird numbering system on the duplicate files. Should I do another restore and use the boot disk ?? Any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    steinr98

5. Long View

what version are you using ? are you restoring a partition or a drive ? If you are restoring a drive did you check the box to delete partitions ?

6. steinr98

sorry- I'm using ver 11, I'm quite sure that I did not put a check mark in delete partitions. My "C" drive is one partition. I was restoring my complete C drive. At this stage, can I format my Hd. and then restore to an empty drive ?? Would this maybe get me out of the woods? I have dupe files all over the place.
    thanks again,
    steinr98

7. Long View

OK - when restoring to a whole drive as oppossed to restoring just a partition I believe you have to check the box which say delete partitions - otherwise you will have 2 images on the same drive - and the duplication that you refer to.

if you want to delete the whole drive you check the drive box and later you say delete all partitions. you could reformat the drive and so on but there is no need. At this point I would use the CD and restore the whole of C:

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Are you restoring a file backup or a drive image backup. A file backup, when restored, will overwrite other files or leave duplicates or only overwrite older fiels depending on the user settings in ATI.

A partition/drive image, when restored, will either wipe the partition/drive,, or if you tell it not to delete partitions, then it will try to write a new partition. PArtition/drive backups, when restored, don't leave anything previosly in the partition/drive where they write. Basically, they only restore to empty space.

9. steinr98

I was doing a Disk Image Restore- not a file restore. I just retraced all my steps and I do not think I put a check mark in delete all partitions. This probably was my problem as I now have lots of duplicate files. I will do a restore again and put the check mark in, "Delete all partitions" and that should solve my problem. I originally did a complete hard drive backup. I believe you both, (Shieber and Long View) have solved my problem. I will let you know after I restore again.
    Thanks!!
    steinr98

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Thanks. Always good when a user reports back on results -- it's helpful info for the next person having the same or a similar prob.

11. Long View

steinr98

hope all goes well. You say you make a full image of C: ? There are a number of ways of setting up a system but my preference is for C: windows Xp and programs and D: for data You are then able to restore each partition independently. so if you mess up your operating system and have to restore to an image made a few days ago you will not loose your recent e-mails
    (assuming that they are stored on d:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.