Recovery Program

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Badcompany, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hello Forum,
    Iam looking for a recovery program in-case my computer crashers, I have tried Rollbackrx version 7 & 8 but I always get BSOD after installation.Iam now looking at Firstdefense & Shadowprotect, which one is most reliable or is it down to personal choice.
    Badcompany.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

FDISR
    ShadowProtect

U can use both, if one then FDISR.

3. Badcompany

Hi aigle,
    What is the point of using two recovery programs.I don't understand.
    BC.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ShadowProtect is at this moment one of the best Image Backup softwares.

FirstDefense-ISR is NOT an Image Backup software, it's an Immediate System Recovery software, so don't compare it with ShadowProtect.

ShadowProtect + FirstDefense-ISR = total recovery convenient solution.

If you can't afford both, I suggest ShadowProtect, because FirstDefensie-ISR works only for the system partition and ignores any other partition.
    After a harddisk crash, FirstDefense-ISR won't restore your computer either, unless you install Windows + FirstDefense-ISR manually first and restore your archived snapshots. You won't be able to restore other partitions or additional harddisks.

ShadowProtect works for all partitions.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello bad company,
    both do different tasks.
    with ISR first defence it creates snapshots.
    so e.g. if windows wont boot due to a installation then yoiu press a certain key during boottime and choose the snapshot to restore.
    shadow protect desktop is an imaging program.
    you create an image of the whole OS and can store the image on any HD.
    so then you can boot from the recovery cd and restore the image.
    if you want imaging software i would choose eiether shadow protect desktop or paragon drive backup or even paragon hard drive manager.
    imaging software is needed and snapshot software is a luxary
    lodore

6. Badcompany

Hi EricAlbert,
    I have two drives C.& D.On C I have IE-OE- etc, on D I have all my security programs AV FW etc.I think ShadowProtect is the one that will be best for me.So if I had a system crash SP would boot in before windows, is that correct.

7. ErikAlbert

In that case I strongly recommend ShadowProtect, because you have two harddisks.
    ShadowProtect uses a Recovery CD to recover your images stored on external harddisk, even when your harddisks are empty.

FirstDefense-ISR requires a reboot to recover your system partition and will never be able to restore your second harddisk.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would recommend you go to Storagecrafts site and request the full evaluation download, so you can test the recovery environment.

I also use both of these programs, and both have their place. If you can only go with one, I'd suggest Shadow Protect as it is more comprehensive. FDISR, gives you flexibility to do other things, that are time savers, but unless you know what you are doing wont help for a disk failure.

Pete

9. Badcompany

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. ShadowProtect it is.
    Badcompany.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i requested a full evauation of shadow protect desktop about a week ago and they didnt even send me an email saying eiether way....
    lodore

11. Badcompany

Hi lodore,
    I have just requested a full evaluation and received it within two mins, I would try again.
    Badcompany.

12. Peter2150

Hi lodore

I guess they "heard" about you.:D :rolleyes: :D

Pete

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

LMAO peter
    i just refilled out the form and sent it off.
    im downloading the ISO atm yay!
    lodore

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Been using them for years and no complaints. I know Shadow-Protect is raved about all around the forums right now, but i normally don't switch unless a program replacement is an absolute necessity or it offers unique features i simply can't live without like FD-ISR supplies :D :thumb:

15. ErikAlbert

I noticed, you have a strange setup, you seem to have two internal harddisks or at least two partitions on the same harddisk :
    1. [C:] = IE-OE (I don't understand these abbreviations)
    2. [D:] = security programs, like AntiVirus and Firewall.

I have two internal harddisks, but I use them like this :
    1. [C:] = WinXPproSP2 + Applications, including security softwares
    2. [D:] = personal data files, browser settings and bookmarks, emails, email-address-books
    And that is what I usually see at Wilders, if members have two or more partitions. There are variations, but the main purpose is to separate their data from their system files.

Do you have a specific reason to keep your security programs on a separate partition ?
    I'm just asking this question out of curiosity, if you don't wish to answer, it's OK with me.
    Maybe I can learn something new from you. :)

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Already answered by others.
    SP is basically for hardware disater, though FDISR can do that also but will take longer( u wil need a reinstal of OS).

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The best way to go.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont know which one to choose.
    i can get paragon drive image for 50percent off the $51. the winpe recovery disc is $11 so in total with discount around £15.
    the advantage with paragon is that i can do zero install within windows and backup C: with hot processing technlogy.
    shadow protect desktop is decent as well and also has a winpe recovery cd
    but if you want to zero install in windows you need the $$$ a year IT edition.
    im gonna try once more creating a image with acronis if it fails i will ditch it once and for all.
    i have given acronis 4 chances to create a succcessful image and it hasnt worked.
    so i would be worried that if my HD went i couldnt restore the image.
    hence my interest in paragon and shadow protect desktop.
    since i have already done a image and restore with paragon on my old pc with a dieing HD.
    so its already earned my trust.
    lodore

19. ErikAlbert

The one that works on YOUR computer and meets all your wishes, is the very best one, regardless the price you have to pay for it.
    StorageCraft, Paragon, Acronis, ... are just names, reliable RECOVERY is much more important. :)

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true its all about reliable recovery.

im getting sick of "thank you for choosing acronis products":D
    i mean whats the point in letting it do the image leave it for two hours and once its done it tells me its corropt?
    thats why i want to buy a reliable recovery product out of eiether paragon or shadow protect desktop.
    if paragon answer my questions i emailed them and tell me how to get the 50 percent off for migrating from acronis i will purchase it along with the recovery cd.
    lodore

21. ErikAlbert

Me too, it's almost a sadistic remark, considering the many problems with ATI.
    I use ATI myself because I never had any problems with it.
    Now I would buy ShadowProtect, but I don't buy it, because I need a better reason to ditch Acronis, which has done a very good job during more than one year.
    I'm not going to update Acronis anymore, certainly not version 10, which is IMO the beginning of real bloatware and backup of software settings and emails are a typical example of this bloatware. Nobody needs these ballast features.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  22. osip

osip Registered Member

...using ATI since v8 and have never ever had a single issue with it.Was earlier a little bit concerned after all reported problems but finally decided to go for v10 upgrade...and, no regrets,installed over prev and now using the latest build..

23. Peter2150

In ways all three are probably good. I've use ATI, and it worked, just some things weren't quite right, and that bothered me. I could use neither ATI or Paragon linux recovery CD's on my systems. I need a windows based solution.

My particularly high confidence in SP comes from all the experimenting, testing, and in general beating the heck out of my systems disks, and seeing SP totally recover them.

24. Badcompany

The abbreviations are IE = Internet Explorer OE= Outlook Express. Mine is the same as yours, I just but everything on D because C drive is 28GB and D is 120 GB.I thought if I put everything on D drive and my computer crashers I won't have to install them again.Iam I thinking wrong.
    BC.

25. ErikAlbert

Oh I see, it was a space problem on your system partition that made you do this. In that case no comments from me anymore. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.