Recovery Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Briandr, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briandr

Briandr Registered Member

Hi All,

I am new to Acronis True Image. Most of my experience has been with Norton Ghost. Here is what I am trying to do. I backed up a Windows 2000 Pro computer sometime ago to a Seagate external hard drive. The internal hard drive inside the computer recently crashed. I bought a replacement hard drive and it should be ready to go. When I access Acronis via F11 I go to Recovery. Here is where it gets interesting. Acronis sees the Seagate external hard drive when I try to do a partition restore, but it can not see the hard drive inside the computer! Now that I think of it when I was testing this out before the original hard drive crashed it never saw it when attempting a partition restore. If I try and do a recovery of files and folders it can see the internal hard drive. Really weird unless I am doing something wrong. If I am wropg here please just give me the step by steps for image recovery from an external device. Before anyone mentions storing the image in a hidden partition let me just say what good is that if the whole drive goes dead? Thanks for taking the time to read this and possibly helping out.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Re: 2nd Request For Assistance

I'm not sure that the SZ is meant to go on an external harddrive, in fact, it would seem to negate it's purpose.

I take it you can still boot into Windows and startup TI. If so, I'd make a rescue CD and see if that can see your internal hard drive.

I would be tempted, to delete the SZ (using TI disk management) and start over again.

I think it might be that TI is looking for it's SZ on the hard drive can't find it, and doesn't quite know what to do next.

I've never used the SZ, so I'm not too sure of its vagaries.

Colin

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi Briandr: I don't think you have to do the above with Disk management, I am pretty sure it can be done using the secure zone wizard. I too do not use SZ but I seem to remember other posts with similar problems that the good people on this forum have responded to and they have given a work around just using the wizard in SZ. Be patient there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum that will eventually get to you. Do as "BUBBA" says, if you don't get help after a while come back to this thread and add a comment and that will bump you to the top again. Meanwhile do a search on secure zone and see what you come up with. Good luck.
    Let us know how you make out.

4. Briandr

Briandr Registered Member

Hi and thanks to the ones who have replied.

I see my 2nd thread was closed. After reading it over and over I did not like how I presented my question/problem. I also noticed the replies were different than what I was expecting, probably due to how the question/problem was asked. I just want to paste this over from the 2nd thread just so everything stays together.

I created a full image backup. Relatively certain I did it correct. I might have missed something. Working on the assumption I created the image backup correct, I'd like to move forward with this. By the way I did run an archive check and it came back clean.

One of the first things I did (probably against better judgement) was set up the Secure Zone so I could boot into Acronis with F11. My image is stored on a external hard drive. When I chose recovery I chose the option to 'Restore Disks or Partitions'. I then navigate to the external hard drive and to the backup image I created. The thing that blows my mind is after I do that Acronis can not see the internal hard disk that I want to restore the image to. Does anyone have any clue as to why this could be happening? I spoke to a guy at Acronis who seemed stumped by that. He did say I should have created a bootable CD. He assured me that when I loaded this the boot CD should see the internal hard drive as well as the external hard drive. I am confused at this point and concede its possible I made a mistake on my end. Just hoping someone else can offer suggestions or their own experiences.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Note for the future: Puting the SecureZone on an external drive and activating the Recovery Manager will require that the external drive be connected and turned on in order to boot your computer. Therefore, it's a lousy way to run. It's OK to put the SZ there although there's no reason to use a SZ on an external drive, but don't use the Recovery Manager.

How did you start TrueImage if your hard drive had crashed and was removed?

What type of internal hard drive do you have SATA or the older IDE? If it's SATA, what is your motherboard?

Do you have another computer that you could install Acronis TrueImage on and make a Recovery CD? If so, boot from that CD and tell us what you can see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.