Recovery partition failure after Windows 8 disk clone

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by aarondyn, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aarondyn

aarondyn Registered Member

Hi all - new user here. I'm also new to Windows 8, so I apologize in advance if there is already a thread devoted to this problem. I didn't see one on searching but my familiarity with the vocab is limited, so perhaps I wasn't searching the correct terms. Anyway:

Just purchased a Gigabyte notebook running Win 8. Boot drive is a 128GB SSD (Crucial, if it makes a difference) with a 10GB manufacturer recovery partition, accessed by tapping F9 on boot.

What I'm trying to do is migrate the install to a 256GB SSD (also Crucial). Seemed simple enough - switch to legacy/bios, boot using flash media created by Paragon Drive Copy 12 Pro, take an image of the boot drive (save to external USB HDD), replace the 128GB drive with the new 256GB, boot using PDC 12, and restore the image to the new drive. After doing so, switching back to UEFI etc, system boots into Win 8 setup just fine. However, when I tested the recovery partition by tapping F9 during startup, I got a blue screen informing me of the following:

'Your PC needs to be repaired'
    'A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed'
    'Error code: 0xc0000225'
    'You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media'

etc... I googled a bit and it seems to be a not uncommon issue, but the fixes seem all over the place, and so I was hoping to get some better-informed advice via you good people.

Apologies for the wordy post - any help would be hugely appreciated. If i've left out some vital into, just let me know and I'll provide. Thank you very much in advance.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'm afraid the UEFI stuff has me out of my depth but if it were a conventional MBR system, I'd make sure I had all the partitions on the new disk that existed on the old disk and in the same order. I'd also ensure that I restored the MBR since it likely is a custom one to handle the F9 key.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.