Recovery Disk for Backup & Recovery 2010 Free Advanced

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by otisalex, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otisalex

otisalex Registered Member

Hello All! This is my first post.

I'm grateful to be able to use Backup & Recovery 2010 Free Advanced version, but am having trouble with the recovery media:

I have tried burning to a DVD-R from the program media builder and by burning the ISO from the program file.

All I ever get on the disk is this desktopini:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21815

Shouldn't there be more? When I boot from the DVD I get to the first page, there is a countdown 'till boot, then it freezes, with no mouse or keyboard response.

What am I doing wrong? Any help, information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Rob

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Please search for source ISO file in C:/Program Files/Paragon Software/iso/
    There should be bootcd.iso file.
    If it is there, try to burn via Nero or another free CD\DVD burner. Note: disk should be burned as an image, not as a single file.

If it is not there, re-install the Backup & Recovery 2010 Free. And verify that original ISO exists.

3. otisalex

Thanks, Mech-

I'll try again. The ISO file is there, and I've tried burning in with Nero, using the ISO selection, but only ending with desktop ini on the disk (see initial post).

I don't have a lot of experience burning disks, so any tips will be appreciated (I've already trashed 4 DVD-R disks trying to make one that boots properly)!

Rob

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  4. otisalex

OK, I tried again:

Double clicked the ISO file, Nero initiated and burned DVD image, same result as above.

Unless someone has a workable suggestion, I'm ready to abandon this software. Since it's free I'm not going to complain much, but what's the point of any backup software if one can't create bootable media?! I guess it's time to try Acronis. Wish I could find something as effective and reliable as my good old Drive Image 7!

Rob

5. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Rob

According to your description, the issue is not related to ISO file.
    B&R 2010 Free has only Linux-based Recovery CD.
    It appears that Linux environment doesn't have appropriate drivers for your hardware.

As final test to make sure that the reason is Linux - burm the Recovery Media to USB flash:
    * start Recovery Media Builder
    * select 'Removable device'
    * Follow the wizard
    Note: your flash-drive will be wiped.

Then try to boot from Recovery Flash. Does it work?

If not, the alternative is Bart'sPE CD, if you have Windows XP installed.

By the way: all files on Recovery CD are hidden, that's why only *.ini file is displayed.
    If you check the CD used space will be ~50MB.

6. otisalex

What does that mean?

This machine is a new Dell Studio XPS 8100 running Win7 Pro.

I'll try it with an SD card. If that doesn't work, I'm done and moving on.

Rob

7. otisalex

OK, tried it with SD card (in USB reader) and it boots to mis-drawn first screen and freezes.

I'm moving on. I appreciate that it's free, but it's also worthless without a bootable media.

Rob:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

8. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello otisalex;

Before abandoning B&R 2010, download/install Imgburn (link) and use it to burn your recovery media.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Imgburn is the best application of it's type.

btw; I've used B&R 10 to image Windows 7, so I know it works.

Good luck !

9. otisalex

WTS- Thanks- I'll give it a try and post back. If that doesn't work, I'm done. This is turning into a "project".

(P.S. Where in NC? I'm in Raleigh.)

10. otisalex

OK, tried again with imgburn- wasted another perfectly good DVD-R and 15 minites of my time. Same result. I'm done with Paragon.

Rob

11. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Sorry it didn't work for you.
    I really believe you would love Paragon if you could get the recovery disc burned.

-Anyway-
    To answer your earlier question;
    I live just outside of Charlotte.

12. otisalex

It's really a shame, because it is FREE and has a great set of features, but without a bootable recovery, all it's good for, in the event of an OS failure, is to restore my personal data, which is on its own partition. This is a brand new Dell Studio XPS with dual CD/DVD drives. Just to be sure, I burned 100 high resolution photos to a disk with no problems, so the issue is with Paragon.

Rob

13. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Rob,

Try to mount the ISO in a virtual DVD, such as Virtual Clone Drive or Daemon Tool Lite. Even WinRAR will do.

See what results you get. You can also burn from the mounted virtual disk and not from the ISO.

Also, can you un-check the following:

1. Don't hide hidden files, folders and drives.
    2. Hide protected operating system files.

14. otisalex

King of Rapture-

While just about anything can be made to work if one is willing to invest enough time, some projects, such as trying to get a program to do what it should do from the start, does not represent a good investment.

The failure of Paragon to provide a reasonably simple way to create recovery media raises reasonable doubts about the intelligence and integrity of the core product.

I just parted with $40 and downloaded Acronis True Image Home 2011, and thus far it is more than worth every penny. I popped in a DVD-RW, created a backup disk using the program's media builder, re-booted to Acronis beautifully with full access outside of Windows to perform any necessary procedures. This is the way good software is supposed to work!

Life provides me with enough necessary "projects". I don't have the time or the interest to go looking for additional, time-consuming, unnecessary ones!

Rob

15. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

I understand your relutance with respect to Paragon , I do however not believe Acronis to be that much better than Paragon. Also I think that it is unfair to compare a "free product" to a "paid".
    "Mech_An" suggested that your problem might have been related to the fact that the free B&R uses a Linux enviroment bootdisc, which might sound as a plausible reason. If so you could have tried the "Backup & Recovery 10 Home" ( $ 29.95) or the "Backup & Recovery 10 Suite" ( $ 49.95) , in which both cases you would have had a better bootdisc (Windows P.E) and the Paragon Software support Service to help you if you had a problem.
    Personally I consider both "Acronis" , "Paragon" and "Easeus" as amateurs next to Symantec and think that people often could have saved themselves a lot of problems if they had just bough Norton Ghost to start with.
    However having tried more "Paragon Software" software I think that they are doing a nice job.
    Anyway, I think that it is completely unfair to compare the paid version of another companys software to "Paragon Softwares" free. If "Paragon Software" had to give you a better bootdisc they would probably have to pay Micro$oft money for using their "Windows PE" bootdisc and would then not be able to give you their software for free. Also , the idea that "Paragon Software" gives away software is of course also to get you used to using their software so that you will buy a another version of the software (like with a better bootdisc) if you got a problem or wants more - like better features, better bootdisc , their tech support , whatever.....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  16. otisalex

Not comparing- just stating that it didn't work for me, so I moved on to something that does.
    Right...the free version doesn't function as it should, so buy the paid version from the same company? I don't think so. Free or not, it has the Paragon name on it and the the features included should work. They don't.
    Norton Ghost is generally not reviewed as favorably as Acronis or even Paragon, and doesn't have some of the features I require.
    Again, you're the only one doing the comparing here. While it's perfectly reasonable to expect a free version to have fewer/limited features, it is also completely reasonable to expect the features that are in included to work. They don't, so Paragon doesn't get my money for a paid version.

Rob

17. Fiat_Lux

Excuse me ! , I'm the only one doing the comparing here ?
    The whole reason why I wrote the previous post here were your above quoted post where you compared the Acronis you bought with the B&R free by writing "This is the way good software is supposed to work!"
    I don't care what any " reviews" might have said, I and others I know have used Symantec software for many years and generally speaking I think that Symantec Norton Ghost performs nicely and is quite reliable.
    However if the software (e.g. Ghost) "doesn't have some of the features you require" then end of story because then you need some software that satisfies you.
    Anyway , nomatter what anyone else thinks then of course it is your provocative to choose , buy and run whatever software you like .
    All I wanted you to know was that it was unfair to compare paid to free software and that "Paragon" might have satisfied you or helped satisfy you had you given them a fair chance (you were ready to cough up $40 to Acronis) , but I understand from your writing that you see things differently, which is of course , again , your provocative !

18. Fiat_Lux

P.S. (1)
    It also looks like that any thing that "mech_ann" or I wrote to you regarding the Linux based bootdisc compared to the Win PE based bootdisc were wasted on you.

P.S. (2)
    Did you know that if you read the "PARAGON Software Group - Presales Questions and Answers" section 4. 1 it clearly says :
    (emphasis in bold by me !)

4.1 How can I cancel my order or get a refund?
    To insure that you are never charged for a software that does not meet your requirements Paragon Software Group offers a 30 day money-back guarantee on all software applications. Guarantee period starts from the day you receive the software, not when we dispatch it. Similary, you can cancel your order at any time prior to shipment, free of charge by contacting us at sales@paragon-software.com quoting the order number.

If you are dissatisfied in any way with your purchase and wish to refund it, please contact us at sales@paragon-software.com and we will immediately suspend the transaction and confirm the refund. All we ask you to do is to return the boxes in the original condition back to us and/or to remove the Paragon software from your system.

If you wish to return or cancel your order, we would welcome your comments so that we can try to improve our products and services to all our customers

So I can't see that most of your arguments here really "stick" anyway, they are ready to both assist you (tech support) and give you you money back, what more can you ask for ?

19. otisalex

Um... a product (free or not) that does what it's supposed to, and I have that now.

20. otisalex

That's not a comparison. It's a statement of fact. The free version did not do what I needed it to do, so I bought a product that does.

21. Fiat_Lux

Whatever......

22. otisalex

Not so. FWIW, I just burned a Linux Bootable DVD for Easeus Partition Master and it boots perfectly.

Just posting this for anyone who might be considering the Paragon Free Version, since I've already moved on to another program that's working for me.

Rob

23. Fiat_Lux

The compare page "Compare EASEUS Partition Master Editions" says that the free edition can not create bootable CDs .

Compare EASEUS Partition Master Editions.jpg

24. otisalex

Mine is not a free version- it's Partition Master Professional 6.5.1.

25. Fiat_Lux

So another paid version then ? , and I am still the only one comparing ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.