Recovery Disk does not recognize External Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jsquareg, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsquareg

jsquareg Registered Member

My TI 2009 build 9709 Recovery CD does not recognize my external Western Digital 'My Book' connected to one of my USB Ports. When I either try to restore from or backup to the disk, it doesn't show up after using Browse. If I disconnect the disk before booting the Recovery Disk and then reconnecting it after TI comes up it will occasionally appear. Or at least it seems that way to me. There is no power switch on the drive and I have to crawl under the desk to connect and disconnect it and that is actually a pain in the back for this old guy.

I don't recall having to do that with TI version 11.

What do I have to do to create a Recovery Disk from TI 2009 that will recognize the external HD without me having to to gymnastics?

Thank you very much.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

3. jsquareg

Thank you.

I forgot all about trying a different port. However, that made no difference. I really upsets me that I have to go through the process of creating a BARTPE disk to correct a problem in a product for which I paid money than I really need to spend right now.

Thanks again.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Contact Acronis support via Live Chat and request a file with different drivers or whatever is needed to boot your system. If you are using a usb-hub, try inserting directly into the motherboard.

This is an old link but you might find some help here.

Western Digital My Book External Hard Drive & Acronis True Image
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=144460

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What type of computer are you using the My Book with?

Is the My Book plugged into a USB port built into the motherboard, or is it connected to an add-on PCI card (desktop) or PC card (notebook)?

Is this a portable My Book (one powered by just the USB port without an AC adapter) or AC powered?

My Books do not work with some common add-on USB cards, espscially ones made by Adaptec.

Portable My Books sometimes need more power than a single USB port can provide. WD has a double headed cable on their online store that allows the drive to be plugged into two USB ports for extra power.

6. jsquareg

Thank you.

The My Book is powered through the adapter that came with it.

I have tried it in every port on the mother board as well as those on my powered hub. Still the same problem.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

OK, the problem is that the TI 2009 rescue CD drivers just don't support your motherboard's USB ports.

Follow GroverH's advice and contact Acronis Tech Support via chat and request a special CD that supports your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.