Recovering from TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MichaS, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

I already posted here about my problem with TI in "TI Nightmares".
    Two questions where I really need help:
    If Acronis TI 10 reports an image is corrupt and then terminates its operation after deleting existing partitions on the target drive is there any way to restore the partitions? I can see many raw data still available in Spinrite 6, but Acronis' Partition Recovery tools doesn't find partitions at least not in the fast automatic mode?
    If I can mount the "corrupt" image and see fils and folders and even restore some example files, what does that mean? I thought, if the image were corrupt then it should be corrupt completely. Any ideas?

Thanks for all help

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Assuming the start and end addresses of the partition have been wiped from the partition table I don't see how this is possible. What is possible is to use a sector scanner to locate and recover the files on it.

F.

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

MichaS,

If all the "recovery" options fail, I would suggest you just retry the restore several times, especially if the image mounts well.

Back with TI7 and an external drive that TI didn't always like, I succeeded to obtain a perfect restore of a previously validated image after 6 unsuccessful trials.

4. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

Hi all,

interestingly, I followed your suggestion to retry. Now, it didn't report an error but started to restore. Currently, it is still restoring. The downside is that it is now restoring the 30 MB utility partition (first of 3 operations) and claims that it will need other 6 days to complete. I am curious how long the 380 GB partition will take to be restored. From my viewpoint, this is definitely a sign that something in TI is wrong. When I start TI it complains about lost hda interrupts and USB drives it can't set new addresses for. It then takes extremely long (minutes) until the rescue CD is booted. Could TI encounter problems with SATA/RAID-Controllers. I am using a Dell 8400 without RAID being activated. In the BIOS you can set RAID on, AHCI, ATA, COMBINED. I am using a non-RAID-configuration.
    Is it beter and possible to install a minimum XP on the target drive, install TI 10 there and then restore the harddisk or does TI refuse to install partitions to the same disk where it runs?

cheers
    Michael

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

You could do that, yes. You can even restore the OS partition starting from Windows, only you would be prompted to reboot and the process would continue from the Linux environment. But for the other partitions you would remain in Windows and the restore would run faster.

But it's too late for this run, I'm afraid. If you terminate the restore, you may (will) get an empty destination drive.

EDIT: On the other hand, you have nothing to loose, considered your present situation - is that so?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.