RECOVERED LOST PARTITION W/ CHKDSK!!

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by cortez, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

After changing a partition from primary to logical C:/ would not boot. Tried all of the rescue media but no luck. Windows Repair Console warned that the lost partition had an unordinary (paraphrase) BOOT.INI file and that an attempt at using fixmbr might render the partition and all other partitions inoperable (it contained the main BOOTWIZ files). It then prompted if I was sure I wanted to proceed. Once before this proceedure rendered my entire drive useless, so I typed "n" and pressed enter. This returned me to the command prompt and I entered CHKDSK /repair instead. It checked and repaired some "FILES" and the partition with BOOTWIZ worked AGAIN! I remember on one occasion I used bootcfg /repair and it quit on me and CHKDSK ran itself automatically and repaired the boot problem. As time went by I questioned my sanity on this issue as chkdsk /repair should only run if it is commanded to do so. I have never heard that it could run itself. In addition I never heard that it could correct boot problems. But Under DD10 it did work on these two occasions. ( Of course I am aware that this may only reveal my ignorance on how the repair console works). This command might work for others under the same situation, hopefully. AS this disk is loaded w/ 4 XP partitions I was happy to get them back. Having separate XPs for specific chores is like having ONE very stable OS. Two internet partitions and one for the wife's gaming and one for music and data recording only (this partition works best if it is cut off from the internet with no updates or SP2) as Nero is on it. IT's sad that it takes 4 XP's to equal one good OS.

2. cortez

cortez Registered Member

p.s. This should be an object lesson to leave well enough alone on my "Real HDD" and leave the fooling around to my dedicated experimental HDD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.