Recover image from External HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jbethwhitt, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbethwhitt

jbethwhitt Registered Member

My PC only has one ATA connection for a HDD. I want to upgrade the existing HDD by making an image of the existing HDD. Can I create an image on an external HDD, boot using a TI boot disk and the NEW blank HDD and restore the image from the external (connected via firewire) to the new HDD? Also will making the image on the external delete anything else on the external I have saved?

I am sure these are total newbie questions so thanks for your patience!

2. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

No problem with what you want to do. In fact I did a test of just that
    last night.

Storage_man

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Read this thread for details Restoring to a Replacement Drive

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

If you created your backup as an image archive, then the backup files (.tib) are simply data files in a folder on your external drive. Using these to restore your drive will not delete these or any files.

You should find some help ready my guides below. If you use this procedure and make an image archive using the disk option as illustrated by my Images B3 and B4, this will enable you to restore your entire system should a disaster occur. This procedure includes all partitions on the system drive.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jbethwhitt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - migrates/copies the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes. Since you are interested in moving to a new hard drive, we would recommend you to follow Backup approach.

Cloning procedure is fast, and only requires the original hard drive and the destination one - no need in the mediator hard drive. However, the final choice is always up to your needs.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.