Recover data from formatted partition?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Cruise, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I accidentally formatted my USB (backup) drive, so if anyone has any experience in that regard I'd sure appreciate your recommendation for recovery software that can do the job. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If you haven't written data on it you could get it back. I use Recuva as my undelete tool with some success. Be sure to restore data to your HDD and not to your backup drive.

3. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

First rule of data recovery is never write anything to the affected drive from which data is to be recovered.If it is a case of 'normal format'(aka windows option) & after format nothing is written to drive then there is a very good chance of recovering almost all data.Just recover data to a separate hdd.

4. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

Best tool I've used is getdataback by runtime software

5. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

6. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Hey Cruise, I did that a couple of years ago and I recovered most of my stuff by using Testdisk and it's companion tool, Photorec (both are free). You will find the downloads and instructions by Googling. Good luck!

PS. As has been mentioned, be sure not to write anything to that drive! Also save any/all recovered files onto another drive!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Mini Tool Power Data Recovery worked for me when i deleted photos from camera SD card

8. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Scott, I just wanted to say that your suggestion did the trick! Took some 'intense leanin', but it was worth it. :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.